Looking for a good all terrain tire

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by TDPalmer, Nov 23, 2013.

1. nicks78camaro

nicks78camaro Veteran Member

No tires sold at Pep Boys are made in China. Pep Boys' main tire line is Definity, it's a house brand tire made exclusively by Cooper (all made in USA). Definity tires include the HP100, HP200, HP800, Dakota HT and AT.

Falken is their next most popular tire, with the Ziex ZE329 (Pep Boys exclusive), SN211, PT722, and Wildpeak HT and AT. Granted they are mostly made in India and Indonesia, but they are still good tires nonetheless.

Also note everyone thinks Michelin are superior to all other tires mostly because of advertising, and becaue they are the oldest (most established and well known) tire company. I have seen customers come in with Michelins, both factory and aftermarket, I sell them a different brand, and when we call later for a follow up, they say they love the way the tires ride and handle compared to the Michelins.

I've also seen many times when Pep Boys (with their Definitys) can beat Walmart's price on Walmart's junk no name tires, for a much better tire with a much better warranty.

2. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've got the old school MT/R's on my plow truck and I had them on my last Jeep. They wear like iron and I wish they still made them like that. The new ones do nothing for me as I've never been a fan of a directional or asymmetric treaded tire.

My TSL's are 44's and bias ply, they do thump when cold. We had 38" radial TSL's on my wife's 91 K5 Blazer and they were great.

Best tire I ever had were Buckshot Radial Mudders. I ran 36x12.50x16 on my lifted 79 K20 and they were excellent in all weather conditions and for the occasional trip off road. They were fairly quiet for a mud tire and I averaged 35000 miles per set.

3. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does Pep Boys still offer the Futura tire? Those were junk, regardless of country of origin.

4. Red70Camaro

Red70Camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've heard good things about the Cooper AT3's I run Cooper SST's on my truck. Also had Nitto Terra Grapplers and they were good AT tire.

5. nicks78camaro

We do still carry the Futura 2000 LTE, which is a decent, low priced tire for customers with older cars that do not want to invest a lot of money on tires. The other Futura tires, along with some other Hankook, Cooper, and other tires are in the process of being discontinued.

6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

You got part of that right. The Futura Super Sport tires don't handle, ride, or provide wet weather traction worth a flip.

However, I have a set on one of my cars that's been on there since 1997. They're pretty worn out, but I haven't needed to add air to them since they were put on the car. The car isn't roadworthy (hasn't been driven since 2006), currently, so the fact that they're as old as they are doesn't pose a safety issue at all. I just think it's amazing that they've held air this long.

7. nicks78camaro

They are also $109.99/tire (275/60/15) compared to BFG Radial TAs, that are $166.99/tire (275/60/15) (which aren't great by today's standards either). You get what you pay for.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  8. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

BFG Radial TA's were on the same tier of price in 1997....which was when I bought them. Only reason I got them was because of the convenience. Pep Boys was right across the street from MY service shop. Not to mention my tires were slick and the forecast called for rain for several days straight. Better safe than sorry.

BTW, that's the LAST time I ever stepped foot into a Pep Boys. When I bought the tires, I told them a needed an alignment. Dropped the car off at 8:30AM....after no call by 3:pM, I give them a call to check the status. I was told the new tires are on, but they can't do an alignment. Why? They say the entire front end is 'worn out' and needs new components. Fine, I need to see exactly what they're talking about. So I walk across the street and meet with the service desk guy. He says yep, your car needs new tie rods, drag link, idler arm, and wouldn't hurt to do the ball joints....after all the car is a 1980.

So I ask him to show me. Says he can't let me out into the shop area. So I ask for HIS manager. He's not available. I want my car off the lift. I JUST REBUILT THE ENTIRE FRONT END OF THE CAR DAYS BEFORE!!!!! Nope, never will spend another dollar at Pep Boys.

And you're (assuming Pep Boys) selling BFG Radial TA's for $166 each? In what size? While on the subject of ripping people off. I can buy them locally for $119 (for the size I run) all day long.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

yeah, that is not close to an all terrain. Even BFG calls them "Off-Road Tires"
    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/off-road-tires/baja-t-a/tire-details

They even list is has having lesser braking quality than the AT or even the Mud terrain.
    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/off-road-tires

that is a car tire.

Correct!

I've had good results with Toyo products. Maybe check out the Toyo
    Open Country A/T II

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Toyo Open Country here. Ran into a guy with the new style they have, he likes them a lot, but out of your price range.
    Could be some of the older style sill around for a good price, I'd recommend them for duel purpose (off road/hiway) but not in the snow.