Looking for a new Motor, Recommendations needed!

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by FadedSS, Apr 29, 2010.

1. FadedSS

FadedSS Veteran Member

Hey guys, I have built a few lsx engines over the years for my 4th gens but am not too familiar with sbc's. I am looking to put a new motor in my 73 and am debating about this brand new 383 stroker below. Can you guys please give me some input or advice, I don't know much about these and don't really know what to look for.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/pts/1715280493.html

Is this a good deal? What kind of power should I expect? Anyone have expereince with this builder?

Thanks
    Matt

2. gs462

gs462 Veteran Member

I think you should build a carbureted 6.0 litre they have the ability to ake more power than the older sbc.

3. z28rod

z28rod Veteran Member

summit has a blueprint 383 400hp motor with warr for around 3k.... read warranty....

4. FadedSS

FadedSS Veteran Member

i will look into this...

can anyone give me any feedback on this particular motor? what are the postivites/negatives? whats it worth? will it bolt up directly to my 350 or will i need to make modifications?

5. Simon@London

[email protected] Veteran Member

Looks like a good deal compared to Pace's price.

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=132

6. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

I would not spend that much money on any new motor running a f/t cam............spend that much you should go roller

7. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Do a search for reviews on whatever brand of "crate engine" you are considering, see if people are happy or not.

I decided to go with a local builder after researching this as it appeared that some of the crate engine companies would not back up their warranty. Ultimately Summit and Jegs did take care of the people, but they were not driving their cars for quite a while.

3K for the 383 seems like a decent price, and its local. Go look at it and talk to the guy, does he have all the documentation? He says it was built by company xxx, check and see if it was. Maybe they can tell you something about it?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  8. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    AR Racing sells a lot of engines on ebay.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZarracingunl

I bought one of their 383 engines about 5 years ago. while I have not had any serious problems with it, I did find a few careless mistakes that should not have made it out of their shop. My engine runs well and is really strong, so you will have to decide what is important to you. they are in VA, so any issues would have to be resolved cross country.

I would guess the seller is adding his shipping to the cost of the engine, I think that $3k is about what those engines sell for without shipping. If you look at the ebay listing, they claim $170 average shipping, but this is total bs. I think I got a good engine, but it probably does not have everything listed in the ebay description. ymmv. Good luck.

9. Brown`77Z28

Brown`77Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It`s not new it`s a rebuild!!!!!!!
    I`d say go for a real brand new GMPP motor, I can recommend you the HT383 or the ZZ383.

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Your going to pay for it too. Most of the engines like blue-print are only re-using the block. If you have the cash to spend, I would go all out...but money is tight, I went yearone crate.