Looking for advice on this car

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Racer28, May 19, 2020.

1. Racer28

Racer28 New Member

FB_IMG_1578593460545.jpg I'm looking for advice on where to start working on this. Had it since I was 17 and really regret letting sit. I'm now 43 and want to have it to go cruising once in a while. I know this is very vague, but maybe someone has an idea.

2. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Safety and structural integrity first. If it's been sitting in that field a long time I'd be concerned about everything underneath being rusted...i.e. frame, fuel/brake lines, suspension, floors etc. Get it on a solid floor and up on jack stands or a lift and inspect it from the bottom up :bowtie:

2ndGenCrazy likes this.
  3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And if it’s a real Z28.

4. Racer28

Racer28 New Member

It's not a real Z28

5. Racer28

Racer28 New Member

We just got a bunch of rain here, so I'm waiting for the ground to get more solid. I've got some different tires I'm gonna mount on it so I can make it mobile.

6. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

If it's rusted out too bad, don't be quick to get rid of it. You could use it as a donor car so the parts can live on. You'd be surprised what can be saved and in turn will save you money.

7. 70Znut

70Znut Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like to start all my projects with the 3-S system.
    - Start
    - Stop
    - Steer
    I prefer to keep my project as mobile as possible during the restore.
    Get those 3 things done, then pick whatever cosmetic category you want to work on.

8. Gavin Humes

Gavin Humes New Member

if the rear frame rails are extremely rotted and if there is substancial floor or trunk rot i would buy another car and use that one to rob misc parts off of. i wish i did that with my first camaro instead of trying to do endless amounts of metal work that amounted to nothing. if the rot is minimal or non existent then 70Znuts three s system sounds like a great place to start! ask yourself what your end goal of the project is though. if its to TOTALLY redo the car because its your favorite vehicle and youre going to keep it forever then dont be afraid to go crazy and get it ready to hit the sandblaster and just start 100% fresh.