Looking for feedback from guys/gals running higher caster numbers

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
I'm curious what your experience as far as tire wear is concerned running the higher caster numbers. I've done a bazillion alignments over the years but always on customer cars with factory specs and never much on the performance end of it. I'm generally leery of anything higher then +4ish on caster due to edge wear on turns due to the camber roll. Are you guys running into much wear?

I'm setting up my 2002 Blazer and the best I can get is 0 Camber and +6.5 Caster. Never run into that, it's seems I'm always looking to get more caster on the old stuff LOL.

I'd appreciate any feedback you have. :)

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I guess it depends on the mileage you plan on putting on. I only put on a couple thousand per summer. 3rd season running 6.5 degrees, and no noticeable odd wear, but even if there is, I really like the improvement in steering feel.

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
I guess it depends on the mileage you plan on putting on. I only put on a couple thousand per summer. 3rd season running 6.5 degrees, and no noticeable odd wear, but even if there is, I really like the improvement in steering feel.

Ditto... I think it's been about 4-5 years for me. About 6.5 deg as well.

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
Caster doesn't really impact tire wear, at least enough to worry about.

Most cars won't give you enough movement to matter. If you went from 2° to 10° then maybe you'd need tires with more rounded shoulders. But that's a big change

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
Caster doesn't really impact tire wear, at least enough to worry about

It can at higher numbers. It's actually called camber roll. As the wheel turns left or right it will tip over sightly with high caster. We used to see in Mercedes where they were running +8-9 degrees (IIRC) from the factory. You would see edge wear similar to camber wear but a thinner patch.

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
Ditto... I think it's been about 4-5 years for me. About 6.5 deg as well.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to run with it and see what happens. I hope to use this as a daily in the future. Depending on where I end up shop wise I could be driving 50-90 miles a day.

djorgensen3

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2009
Peoria, Az
I think if you lived back east or somewhere with a lot of curves you might see signs of wear but here in the valley its all straight roads so I doubt you'll have any issues.

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
It can at higher numbers. It's actually called camber roll. As the wheel turns left or right it will tip over sightly with high caster. We used to see in Mercedes where they were running +8-9 degrees (IIRC) from the factory. You would see edge wear similar to camber wear but a thinner patch.
Yeah,extremes. I wasn't finished when I hit submit, I added to my thoughts.

I remember some German cars 10+. That's why the Michelin mxv series was invented. Rounded shoulders

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
I'm curious what your experience as far as tire wear is concerned running the higher caster numbers. I've done a bazillion alignments over the years but always on customer cars with factory specs and never much on the performance end of it. I'm generally leery of anything higher then +4ish on caster due to edge wear on turns due to the camber roll. Are you guys running into much wear?

I'm setting up my 2002 Blazer and the best I can get is 0 Camber and +6.5 Caster. Never run into that, it's seems I'm always looking to get more caster on the old stuff LOL.

I'd appreciate any feedback you have. :)

Glad you brought this up KD, I've struggled somewhat with this very issue since I got my '72Zed on the road in 2014. I put about 5k miles a summer on, and use it in the city/highway as well as autocross and roadcourse. Let's just say I put it through it's paces.

I've used Falken 615k's, RS4, Khumo V730 (scubing new ones for my son's honda SI) and soon to be RT660, all top quality UHP tires in the 200 tread wear, with rounded shoulders. I've had 6-7 pro alignments done setting different spec's.

I've run 5, 5.75, 7.5 and 8.5* +Caster with .75 - Camber, played with toe as well, and adjusted my bump steer as well.

I've suffered from advanced inside edge wear on my front tires as the +Caster goes up, I have now returned to 5.5* +Caster, and 2* - Camber. Still suffering, but less than 7.5/.75 combo.

So I agree with you 100% based on my experiences and what I have seen, I do suffer more inside wear with more Caster I run.

This winter I'm redoing my front end to fit/squeeze 275/40/17 on 9.5" rims. Lower ball joint move ahead/inward, new bump steer kit, splined sway bar with additional clearance, upper SPC adjustment with reinforced plates/brackets as well.

Next alignment with new setup/tires will be 5.5* +Caster and 1.5 - Camber.

I loved the way the 8.5* Caster felt, but 5.5* seemed to be almost as good, not as good for strong self centering, but not like it's at 0* shopping cart LOL.