Looking for some more rumble

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by doublec, Aug 23, 2015.

1. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Right now my Camaro has a 2.5 Pypes Exhaust with X pipe and the tailpipes running straight out the back and Magnaflow mufflers. The sound is very nice but am lookng for a more aggresive sound.

My engine came off the dyno right at 500HP. Would it be worth it to go with a 3" exhaust with some Spintech's and either dump the exhaust right at the muffler or run them over the axles and cut them off even with the fender and not go all the way out the back OR would I notice a good bit of difference leaving my 2.5 adding the Spintech's and dumping them at the muffler or even with the fender?

Don't get me wrong the Magnaflows sound great....just looking for it to be meaner :)

2. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Well with your title being said, "more rumble" I know that dumping the exhaust right at the muffler should make a noticeable difference.
    From experience, my 71 had tailpipes, once that set up was changed to turndowns right at the end of the muffler I could hear the lope of my cam much more and it literally did rumble more.

You can either do turn downs for a slighter muffled effect (still having a noticeable change) or cut them straight(shooting straight out of the rear) and with them straight you get a little more growl when getting on it.

Goodluck with my .02! Worst thing is that you just have to re-weld the exhaust. haha

3. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

My car ,as most do, sounds nasty ( in a good way) and the cam is wicked with open headers...while the magnaflows with full tailpipes sound nice they tame it down a little much for my liking...

I am still young at heart and like to hear and feel them ponies under the hood :)

4. Philly

Philly Veteran Member

Check out some vids of chambered exhaust. You may like it.;)

5. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    How much do you drive the car Pat? The drone and 'rumble' inside the car gets pretty old quickly when the exhaust is dumped under the car. If you want to do it, perhaps some extra sound deadening material in the car. Good luck.

6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

The super 44s by flow master are pretty loud and super deep rumble.I had exhaust tips on with a slight step to 2 3/4" dia and they went megaphone,I had to take them off.Funny ,I switched to manga flows,like said ur gonna get sick of the drone quick.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  7. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Pat,

RARELY drive the car. I am thinking about putting Spintechs on and cutting the pipes even with the rear fenders behind the tires. That should give it a little more thump by going with Spintechs and eliminating a couple feet of tailpipe plus give it a cleaner look with no tailpipes visible and drone should not be an issue.

With my 700r4 I am only turning around 2100 at 70 MPH so the engine is not working hard so drone should be minimal.

Probably not worth going tup to 3" for all the more I would gain.

8. Devildog

Devildog Veteran Member

I did that exact exhaust system early this summer.

I got a mandrel bent 2.5" system from Summit and used Spintech mufflers instead of the Summit provided mufflers. I had the system installed at a custom hot rod shop and did a slant cut on the pipes so that they sat just even with the rear quarter.

My car has a 396 with a mild cam. I'm going to do aluminum heads and a healthier cam this winter to add a few HP and get more of a lope to my idle. I can't wait to hear how it sounds with a healthier cam.

Here's how it sounds right now with the Spintechs and the slant cut tails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD56dI3W6pE

9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Go with 3" dia pipe then spintech super prostreet #9000 mufflers and with 3" tails . There's some really nice sounding YouTube vids with this set up

You can also run my old set up before I swapped to spintechs , same dia pipe 3" then use flowmaster delta force 2 chamber race mufflers . Don't get these mufflers confused with the flowmaster 40 series mufflers . The delta force 2 chamber 40 series is a designated race muffler

10. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Which Spintechs you have on there Greg?