Looking for the best Rebuild book for an 81 Z28

Unicorn

Aug 1, 2022
I ordered a Clymer Camaro book and it shows on the front from 1967 to 1981; however the book they sent says 1967 to 1980. With the same exact picture on the front. So I will be needing to look for another one. Is their a restoration/assembly book that is best for figuring out where everything goes back on the car?

Zspoiler

Veteran Member
May 6, 2012
Federal Way, Washington
Find all the factory manuals you can find on the car .And take pictures as you take the car apart. Most Chevrolet cars have alot in common. So if you have experience working on them .It helps putting them back together,

aviator2007

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2020
Denver
A method I started doing, way late in my build unfortunately, was putting dates on the bags and small boxes of parts. I found this to be very useful because I took lots of pics but could never find the one I needed when I was reassembling. With dates on the parts bags it was easy to find the right day or week in the photo album on my phone. This way I did not waste a lot of time sorting and cataloging pics. Just a thought and I'm sure a lot of members here are thinking it should have been obvious that this should have been done from the start 🤣

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
I would grab a Haynes manual too, sometimes that is easier to deal with, and it has wiring diagrams by year
Only the old Haynes manuals have the wiring diagrams.

The newer editions cut the wiring schematics. :(

If you get one… This is the one you want…

It has the wiring diagrams (including ‘81) and includes updates and revisions for the 81 model.

It should be 372 pages.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
That stinks. Most important part if that book imo
Yup.
I've got my nose in those schematics almost every day for somebody.

I have found a couple of discrepancies but it's an extremely useful manual.
I even bought one for my son when I found the correct edition at a good price.

Roadtrip

Jul 4, 2013
Texas
Camaro Restoration Handbook - Tom Curro & Ron Sessions I really like this book.

I have the original assembly manual which is great. But kind of hard to match their process since it was an assembly line manual and other parts weren't in their way :)

NCCAMARO

Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 18, 2009
Hendersonville, NC
Camaro Restoration Handbook - Tom Curro & Ron Sessions I really like this book.

I have the original assembly manual which is great. But kind of hard to match their process since it was an assembly line manual and other parts weren't in their way :)
Yep I highly recommend this in addy to the factory manuals, it’s been real help to me.