Looking for the best Rebuild book for an 81 Z28

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
Only the old Haynes manuals have the wiring diagrams.

The newer editions cut the wiring schematics. :(

If you get one… This is the one you want…

It has the wiring diagrams (including ‘81) and includes updates and revisions for the 81 model.

It should be 372 pages.
Interesting. Is that for just the engine?

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Interesting. Is that for just the engine?

Nope.
It does not cover interior parts but has basic information for all 2nd gen Camaro systems.
It's NOT an assembly manual or highly detailed repair manual but it covers a lot of the basics.

Something like a heater core replacement is covered in generic form.
It's not done in 2nd gen Camaro specific detail like with differences between A/C and non-A/C cars.
(That's where NastyZ28 comes into play. ;) )

Here's the contents page...

1660152378961.jpeg

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
Tbh the best way to go is get all the factory manuals. Service, repair, fisher body, and assembly. Those clymer books just cover general topics and won’t cover everything you need. Think of it’s this way- the clymer book is 1” thick if that. These books cover 10” or more in width. Waaaaay more info!

and they are specific by year so no one size fits all with a bunch of irrelevant info in them.

Cardinal

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 22, 2003
Endicott, NY
THEE best manuals for GM are the Helm manuals!

When I bought my 64 Chevy II in 1970, I bought the Helm manuals for it and still have it. It contains "everything you didn't know about a 64 Chevy II Nova" in it! The Helm manuals are not cheap BUT if you want a REAL manual, they are the best!

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
Ok thx. Fortunately I do have the factory service manuals
Hopefully the factory assembly manual too as I find this the best at depecting exploded views and p/n‘s for major sub assemblies and how it all goes together.

Last edited:

FS87LT

Apr 3, 2010
DFW, TX
Helm was the printer for the GM Manuals until GM went digital in the 1980s. Digital for the dealerships, that is.

The 70 1/2 Camaro assy manual I have is very informative! IF you read all of it! The neat thing is the illustrations on the various option codes and related "production change" dates. Even to the correct clocking of the hose clamps. Plus the correct fasteners.

Seems like there are some wiring diagrams and other restoration-related items in the back of this website, too?

Enjoy!
FS87LT

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
Helm was the printer for the GM Manuals until GM went digital in the 1980s. Digital for the dealerships, that is.

The 70 1/2 Camaro assy manual I have is very informative! IF you read all of it! The neat thing is the illustrations on the various option codes and related "production change" dates. Even to the correct clocking of the hose clamps. Plus the correct fasteners.

Seems like there are some wiring diagrams and other restoration-related items in the back of this website, too?

Enjoy!
FS87LT
The ls6 page is pretty cool! Almost into production and axed at the 11th hour

Unicorn

Aug 1, 2022
Only the old Haynes manuals have the wiring diagrams.

The newer editions cut the wiring schematics. :(

If you get one… This is the one you want…

It has the wiring diagrams (including ‘81) and includes updates and revisions for the 81 model.

It should be 372 pages.
Thanks I will start the hunt.