Looking to buy a new car jack.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Jan 24, 2020.

1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have BMR jacking rails on my ecoboost, I have a harbor freight 1.5ton aluminum jack @ here. So I position the jack in the center of car and jack entire side up at once, well its done alright for last 6 months, the last few times.. its made some terrible noises. Like absolutely awful. I thought something broke under car it was so loud, but nope. nothing. Its the jack, I lowered and rejacked it up, its just having a hard time oddly.

Harbor freight I own

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-Ton-Aluminum-Rapid-Pump-Racing-Floor-Jack-64545.html

I am looking to replace it with one of these 2 jacks, I want one that will last a long time

Summit 3 ton aluminum. (I am leaning towards this over Jegs because its blue) 255 after coupon
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-917073/overview/

or

Jegs 3 ton aluminum (235) with coupon. (its yellow and id pay 20 more for blue if exact same quality)
    https://www.jegs.com/i/x/555/80077/10002/-1

Do you think either of these jacks are better than the other? My 1.5 ton may actually be just fine, but man.. those creeks and noises coming from it are really concerning. So better safe than sorry. Do you think its possible to damage the car by jacking an entire side up at a time? I do both tire maitneance/brakes etc at once, and the bmr rails are just downright convenient.

The blue addiction is reallll.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Also- if there are any serious heavy duty jacks that can be bought locally let me know. I just think I should of bought a heavier duty one from get go. I will still keep the 1.5 ton for small stuff, but the car being 3600 pounds, maybe its just being jacked up too high for the little one to handle.

3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

4. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

I’ve had a Harbor Freight Central Hydraulic 3 ton jack for several years now with never any issues it jacks hp even my 2015 F150 one side with no issues. I haven’t been on their website to see if that model is still available

Zstar likes this.
  5. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you can afford it a Hein Warner, USA made, parts are available for there old stuff, tough service station quality jack, will last you a lifetime, runs around $400-450. I don't chince on jacks or any tools really, I buy something that 20-30-50 years down the road is still working. You can look all over my garage and see tools my dad had from the 40's, 50's and 60's then stuff I bought in the 70's and 80's still going strong today.

gramps and f-body freak like this.
  6. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

I have 2 of those HF aluminum 1.5t jacks

both are ABUSED - one is bent to sh*t but it still lifts up anything I can get it under

you must have gotten a lemon

7. Jason_S

Jason_S Member

I would vote on the Harbor Freight jack, they have two different 3 ton jacks. One is a little longer and about a 1/4 inch lower and I think has a foot pump as well. I have one at home and work has around 10-12 and they are abused at work, only one has failed. I don't think they have a blue one for you but I know they have yellow, black and I think orange.

Zstar likes this.
  8. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I ponyed up a few years ago for the HF 3 ton, been pretty good to me so far.

--

Zstar likes this.
  9. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good chance that Jeg's and Summit jacks come down the same line with HF jacks. I have that jack also and have relegated it to picking up my lawnmowers. I have a HF 2 ton aluminum that does a decent job, but unless I need to pick the jack up and toss it into the bed of my pickup, I'm using a 3 ton low profile steel HF jack. Those steel ones just seem to work better and instill a bit more confidence.

GoldenOne7710, 70-camaro and Zstar like this.
  10. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I'd take that jack back to H-F,be respectful and "be concerned about its safety" I'd bet they comp you-I had one of their cheap blue flame weld helmet and it crapped out twice,both times they replaced it no hassle,long out of warranty.I was very respectful and stated my concern over it damaging my eyes if I continued to use it [I wouldn't] but manager took care of me -two different stores-they built one fairly close to me now-worth a try.I had a jack come down/fail once while jacking-GREAT respect for them.I cut up that jack with the torch just so someone wouldn't find it try to use it!! Later Steve!!P.S. I have the 3 ton low profile mentioned above from HF I like it!