Looks like the 4spd is coming out... need opinions

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by JWZ28, Apr 4, 2014.

1. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Well, I've finally had enough.. I've been trying to postpone dropping the trans (again :mad: ) but the synchros are starting to grind pretty bad now (BW ST10). I just put a brand new Centerforce clutch (rated for 500hp) in it last year so I'm kinda ticked at myself for not going through the trans then. I'm wanting do the 5 spd conversion anyway, but I don't have a lot of extra money.

So here's my question. Do I pull the trans and rebuild it? Or do I save the money I've got saved up already (about $1000) and go for swap. From what I've read everyone seems to really love the 5 spd conversion. Thanks for the input.

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My ST10 was toast as well....I just pulled it in November. I have been saving up and am getting ready to go for a TKO 600 with the .64 OD.

It was $900 to have someone else re-build my ST10. I am at 460ft lbs of torque and the consensus I got was with the aluminum case I was pushing it. Lots of people will say it is fine and can handle the torque. For me I was tired of running at high RPMs on the highway and didn't want to risk breaking the transmission again so decided I didn't want to spend money twice and just do it "right" the first time.

I did lots of research and that's what I came up with.

3. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

That's what I'm thinking... it's gonna suck not driving it during this awesome weather and car shows are about to pick up... but I really don't want to spend 1/3 of the cost of the swap to rebuild it and still wish I had one more gear.

Mine doesn't have near the horsepower that yours does (I'm praying I have 350hp) but it seems to be on it's last leg and I don't want to end up stranded. Thanks for the input

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

What does your pocket book say?

5. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Save up. Overdrives help ur fuel economy and lessens the engine strain. The ST10 is great for strip but harsh on street. I threw a bearing because the strain on the engine from prolonged high rpms (almost 4k at 80mph) then the neutral drop comin off the freeway multiple times. The sudden loss of oil pressure while still turning fast did it soon as i can afford it im going with with the T56 magnum @2.97 1st/.50 6th. The trans will pay for itself over time with reduced fillups. (4000 vs. 1500 rpms for 12 miles oonce i hit the freeway to town with 15 miles total)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  6. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

I guess I'm gonna go tko 600. I don't do much interstate travel in it but the 5 speed will help out on the highway's around town.

As for the pocket book....I've saved up about 1k so I'm not necessarily close, but it's a big enough chunk to continue saving. The wife even mentioned considering a small loan when I get a little closer to the mark. I'm just the kind of person who doesn't borrow unless I NEED to.

It's gonna suck having the car down now that it's getting warm, but it looks like it's gonna be a waste to rebuild what I have instead of improving. :mad:

7. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Update

Pulled the trans this morning and took the side cover off. I don't know how to tell if these synchronizers are bad or not. How do they look to yall?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  8. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

The points on the face of the one brass ring I can see still looks fairly good, as do the teeth on the steel gears. You want to look at the pointed face on the engagement teeth - if the point is still fairly sharp, its in good shape, if its rounded over, its worn. From what I can see, it still looks fairly good?

What kind of oil did you use in the trans? The synchros are designed to act sort of like a clutch - if the oil is too slipperly, for lack of a better way to put it, then it will grind because the two metal faces that have to act like a clutch aren't able to break the oil film and actually 'grab' onto each other and synchronize speeds properly, causing it to grind, or require alot of effort to get into gear. At least, thats how I understand it to work?

9. Biker Beck

Biker Beck Veteran Member

Looks OK. There are a couple rounded tips but I think it might be the angle of the camera.

10. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

I had a bunch of issues popping out of year when they went in my Saginaw. My BW seems to be pretty stout. I was barely into my 20's when I was working that thing over nightly for the kids in my hood.