Lost close friend due to Covid this weekend

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1970 gold, Aug 2, 2021.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

A good friend lost his aunt yesterday. Heartbreaking. As I mentioned earlier, I did have it. Got it while being in the hospital for a couple days. I was worried with my medical conditions (kidney disease, malignant brain tumor, prostate cancer, carcinoma) well, you get the direction, I thought this is going to "get me." Its just shows the variance I think each and every person is exposed to.

2. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

People are different, their level of health is different, their work environments are different, etc. So the virus is going to affect people differently (thanks Captain Obvious), from one end of the spectrum (no symptoms) to the other (death). It's sorta like those medication commercials that list all of the bad side affects. Those side affects won't be experienced by most people taking it, but some will experience them. You just can't say one size fits all.

What's scary to me is the virus itself is mutating. That makes it unpredictable. Scientists say the longer the virus is around, the greater the chances it will keep mutating. So you can't predict how it will affect someone and the virus itself is becoming unpredictable.

Remember those we lost, love those we still have more, hug them a little harder, and don't sweat the small stuff.

bfmgoalie likes this.
  3. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

I am sorry to hear of the losses. This thread is educational as well. After reading this thread and the fact the vaccine has been around over a year now, I have decided to finally get mine. In general viruses become more contagious and less lethal over time. But this one seems different in many ways so who knows. Tough times and life changing for both those affected and even those that haven't been. It's a different world today that is for sure. I never take any day for granted and haven't for a long time. I wish the best for all of you on this amazing board.

4. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

5. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

6. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

Hey dude, sounds like you have lots going on, but you have balls of brass for keeping up a positive attitude. You mentioned health issues before, but I assumed it was the usual crap that bites all of us. And the typical goalie legacy of hips and knees. I know I speak for others here, if you need anything we can help with, say the word.

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Covid got out of control at the VA out by me. Lost about 50 Vets - sad

9. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lucky with not losing friends for the longest time , but finally COVID struck , Lost friend since childhood he was 60 , total stud , football hero in HS , doctor himself ! Played sax …good lungs …I suppose he had a vaccine …. Still it swept him away like nothing flat . One of the last of my friends I would have thought that COVID would get. Got few friends with one leg in grave and they are all doing fine so far with the vaccine . This is strange illness…..my advice , is don’t trust it , take no chances …some people just seem destined to die of it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  10. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

I lost a first cousin to Covid on Dec 26. And his wife's a doctor. She was negative. He was 72. Diagnosed Dec 5 when he started to feel sick, and he got blood clots rather quickly. A coworker's daughter age 29 got it in March and she's still having breathing issues. My granddaughter, age 21 got it but it appears that she only got the "Prince Charles" variety. And it turns out my barber had Covid. Age 64. And the only reason he got tested was he got a directive to do so as apparently a customer of his had it. And you should have seen this guy. Mask, face shield, gloves, apron, looked like a movie prop set up. He was positive and says he didn't have so much as a sniffle. And apparently his precautions may have led to otherwise near zero spread.

Insidious disease. For everyone's sakes, especially your own, GET THE SHOTS.

Zstar likes this.