Lousy Sears wheel alignment

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by TL73Z28, Jun 8, 2014.

1. TL73Z28

TL73Z28 Veteran Member

Got 4 new Michelin tires and had my truck aligned about 4 months ago at sears. I was going to rotate the tires this afternoon and I see both front tires are getting badly worn on the inside. Half the tread is gone on the inside. So pissed, I only have about 5k miles on them:mad: . I did a crude toe in measurement with a tape measure and it's more than 1/2 inch toeing out.
    So I need to prepare to do battle with the sears service manager. I think they botched the alignment and owe me two new tires. What do you think my chances are for getting them? Or are they going to just deny any responsibility? I don't think I trust them to realign it.

This is an 05' Tacoma 4wd 150k miles, I'm the original owner, never in an accident. No tire wear problems in the past, but I had just installed new struts just before taking it in for an alignment.

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Good luck. You put 5k on those tires their arguement is you could've hit a pot hole or something 4500 miles ago.
    My step son took his '94 Yukon there after we did TREs & ball joints, they would only do the toe because the truck still had the knockouts so the wouldn't adjust caster or camber.

That's why I like my solid front axles, toe only

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree.

There's no way you can be 100% positive they are at fault. Your truck could have issues.
    You can try, but I don't think you'll get anywhere unfortunately.

4. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Interesting I had the same problem. They told me I had a bunch of loose parts (I didn't) so they would not touch the caster/camber. Kinda stupid if you ask me. They still make you pay full price...

To the OP: good luck, I imagine it will end up going up the chain to corporate. Just keep fighting and pushing!

5. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    I learned years ago to *NEVER* go to Sears for anything. Good luck getting any satisfaction from them.

6. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

I'm amazed they are still in business, their bread and butter is from women who want to browse the mall while they are getting tires put on their car.:screwup:

7. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

True....I would not buy anything from Sears!!

8. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

I always get great service from SEARS nad KMART. Price matching is never a problem they are usually within 0.01% anyway. Price a HDTV at Sears it's $999.99, price at Walmart $998.98 but the Walmart one has one or two less features...
    Try to get a repair part for a mower at Walmart... Blades are about it if universal is what you want. Sears still has a massive parts department for their stuff.

Did the Sears mechanic give a faulty alignment? Possible. Or your Truck could have issues.

9. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    For years Sears Auto service has had the reputation of trying to sell you parts you don't need or to refuse to do the work you want them to without also replacing a boatload of other parts.

I made the mistake of having them put struts on a VW Rabbit and had them replaced at least 5 times under warranty. One time the service manager told me I would also have to replace the springs, CV joint boots and several other misc. parts, all without seeing the car. I went to another Sears and they replaced the struts so I was good for another year before they had to replace them again.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  10. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

You may be surprised how far you can get IF you present your case well and in a professional manor. I have had to to battle on several fronts with different stores and businesses over the years, and have had a very good success rate. Being that I have worked in a customer service position at one point in my life, I have learned that there is a right way, and a wrong way to get something done. Walking thru the door all pissed off, and yelling will get you NO WHERE. I have found that if you are calm and collective and present some good facts, that people will go miles out of their way to help you out.