Lovely Second Gen Tanks (or doors that is)

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 76 for 26, Dec 22, 2020.

1. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

Quick question, purchased new latch and strikers to check final quarter to door alignment before taking the shell off the jig and putting on the front sheet metal (prior to r&r quarters due to poor body lines and rust making it hard to ensure good alignment). The door and quarter are pretty flush to start with, but when I put the latch and striker on (new doors)with striker all the way towards the inside of car and push the drivers door out to simulate the seal, it sticks out 1/8 or so beyond the quarter. I tried to adjust the door side hinges in and cured the top (door top not flush with a pillar now), but out of room to adjust the bottom hinge in anymore. Anyone run into this problem or have suggestions. If the striker would be inboard another 1/8 inch, problem solved.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Is the striker too far inboard causing the latch to only catch on the first detent?

3. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

I’m pretty sure...but good point and will double check tomorrow. Although that would be an epic bonehead move after spending a few hours messing with, appreciate you responding cause if that’s what it is, the new doors so far are looking decent from a fit perspective. Thanks and will let you know how it ends up.

4. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

That was the case...thought it was fully latched but wasn’t. Alignment pretty decent given the quarter lines are all smashed in and rusted. Thanks!!

75Maro likes this.