Low oil pressure

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by valleyguy, Dec 11, 2020.

1. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I see what he did... Ran the engine upside down so the nylon gear would get plenty oil. :eek:

2. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Well, actually I had engine upside-down on engine stand looking at lower end. It was either that or I took the pics while in Australia so everything looks upside-down on this side of the globe...

3. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

Hey man, as far as I’m co
    n you still put your nuts on the line, so thank you!
    The hot tip in the Pontiac world back then was to replace the nylon V-8 gear set with a chain and gears from a 4 cylinder (2.5 Iron Duke?) because they were steel and a direct bolt in. They were also available over the counter at any auto parts store, and cheaper than an aftermarket double roller set for those of us on tight budgets. My youngest brother ran a Car Quest store back then and I remember him doing that swap on his ‘68 GTO after work in the driveway one Saturday (no garage). Took him a couple hours and zero timing issues after that. Anyone remember that swap?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Postmech

Postmech Member

Hate to show my age, but Hot Rod had a lot of articles about Bill (Grumpy) Jenkins when he was running 331's in his cars. He used a factory " Silent Chain" in his engines. He said it isolated cam from crank harmonics and had less valve float. But that is 50 year old Tech. Modern timing chains are way superior now. The 4 cylinder back then was a 153, don't think they used Iron Duke until Pontiac redesigned it into the 151(2.5 L ) engine in the 70's which had a gear drive for cam. New and improved meant cheaper and easier to make. lol Sorry I rambled.

5. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

No doubt... but Mr Jenkins probably used a NEW one every run or every few runs... I used to take my paycheck straight to the Speed shop every month.... Having read my monthly Hot Rod subscription on what the "go fast" stuff was.. What they didnt tell us was this stuff was probably not the way to go in a " everyday" driver, getting me to school and work. LOL.
    No pics of my Z28, but here is my 69 A12 Super Bee in 73, on my way to school... Wish I had it back as I sold it in the gas shortage of 1974 for $700..... If any on here know much about Mopars, its worth a little bit more than that now

Attached Files:

Dave Nelson and KingofThings like this.
  6. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

I thought jenkins small block racing book was ahead of it’s time when first published. Lots of technical stuff; at almost an engineering level, but none the less great guidance on how to build a solid race engine. Used many of his chapters guidance (especially the head porting diagrams) and built a 355 traco clone. Car ran like a scalded ape!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

Jenkins was god like back in the day.. I do enjoy Smokey Yunicks writings too .....

Dave Nelson and KingofThings like this.
  8. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

I have that book and similar bought back then. :)

9. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The specification for oil pressure in a small block Chevy is 35 PSI at 1500 rpms. They never published a specification for oil pressure at idle. However, the oil pressure "idiot" light switch is set to come on if the oil pressure drops below 5 psi. One could ASSSUME that the minimum oil pressure is 6 psi?

KingofThings likes this.
  10. valleyguy

valleyguy Veteran Member

That would be my assumption: I installed all new gages in my Car, so I don't have an idiot light anymore. In an case, I'm over worry8ng about it. The engine runs fine.

KingofThings likes this.