Lowering rear with lowering blocks

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Chevy70, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Chevy70

Chevy70 Veteran Member

Lowering rear with lowering blocks vs lowering leafs

Hey guys, been reading on how to lower the rear of the camaro...

Lowering blocks $20-30

Lowering leafs $190 (summit)

What are the pros and cons? Is one easier to install then the other?

I should point out I do have traction bars...

I noticed on dips in the road my front end feels like a boat, much stiffer spring is needed and or the stock ones are probably toast. Any recommendations ?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  2. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

I personally wouldn't use both might make it to low, especially with slapper bars. I'm using regular but stiffer leaf springs an I made my lowering blocks out of an aluminum street sign. I think it about 1/2 in thick. Goes where that rubber pad is between the perch an leaf spring. I wouldn't use the a rubber pad either if your using a lowering block. The rubber pad makes it harder to keep proper torque on the 2 or 4 long U bolts. I have lowered front springs also but almost any mid high speed bump I drag on them.Maybe lowered leafs first then if its not low enough for you get the blocks. The blocks are easier to put in. If you look where the blocks mount you'll see how easy it is to make your own. I just stacked 4 pieces of aluminum street sign that I cut with a jig saw, an drilled a 1/2 in hole in 2 of them to index on the leaf.

3. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Let me know if you decide to go with lowering blocks, I've got a set of 1in lowering blocks for sale on here for $15 + shipping. Just shoot me a PM if interested.

As far as pro's and cons, I'm not sure you'll really tell a difference since the rear will be on leaf springs either way. You're just swapping springs with one and displacing clearance with the other. I went with eibach lowering springs up front. They're nice and stiff, but ride well too

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I realize it the less expensive route but I'd be real weary of using lowering blocks with slapper bars.

As for the front, sound like a good set of shocks are needed.

5. Rockhound

Rockhound Veteran Member

Totally agree with this....

I have never been a big fan of lowering blocks in a performance application, whether it be a drag oriented build or a corner carver.

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

A lowering block increases the ability for wheel hop as it moves the axle further
    away from the spring. So even with slapper bars ..

The Hotchkis rear springs will lower your car and should allow the removal of the
    slapper bars. They resist wheel hop. So far .. zero wheel hop with them.

Tom

7. Chevy70

Chevy70 Veteran Member

8. formulajg

formulajg Member

I lowered the rear of my Firebird like this:

[​IMG]

Been driving it like I stole it for several months now with and no problems at all.