lq4 into a 76.. Which conversion kits do you suggest??

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Jack Deibel, May 28, 2020.

1. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack Derby

Hey everybody… I’m looking to install a 2005 LQ4 (6.0) into a 76 Camaro (which I purchased new in 76)… It has 305 today with a manual 4 speed (converted from a 3 speed to a 4 speed 100 years ago)… I’m a knob with all this but my son talked me into the conversion… He actually got the engine running on the stand so he knows a little/lot more than I do!!

So my question is, which conversion kits do you suggest or for that matter which vendor do you like?? Being a knob, my first priority to ensure everything fits/works together thus I was thinking an install kit might be best… I was considering the Holley/hooker components; mounts, headers, fuel tank unit, oil pan, etc.. But I thought I should check here first for some recommendations…

Also, I’m not sure what transmission will fit with little or minor modifications… It has to be manual 5 speed at the very least..

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated… Thanks again in advance…

2. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I used the brp hot rod kit and it was great on my 69 camaro. It was centered well and not a lot of issues with fitting it in, if I was to do it again I’d buy the same kit.

I believed there’s lots now to adapt your four speed to ls motors.

There’s a lot of threads on ls swaps and the best part is that everything’s pretty much available without having to weld or modify extensively

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

4. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I had never heard of them but that’s seems like a good price for those engines

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Kevin is more "famous" for his Baja racing trucks. But we worked together for a few years, he's very smart, meticulous and has done a hell of a lot of LS swaps and Pro-Touring cars.
    He was one of the guys who built the Taz project.

6. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Carshop 1” setback plates will get the engine mounted. You could get away with trimming the trans mount off the crossmember and Repositioning it. Speed engineering headers look like good $. Decide on your trans but the 4 speed can work.. Read more posts in this section. It’ll be a nice change, when done, from when you bought it new.
    Decide on your engine harness and computer or carb?

7. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack Derby

Thanks for the info guys...

Erik, I was going to use what came with the engine (2005 LQ4), or am I over simplifying it??

P.S. Those Speed Engineering is a great price...

8. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Jack,
    If you’re talking about the harness and ecm...plenty of links on how to modify your own harness. Likewise, plenty of options to buy a harness these days, such as psi. I’d offer up that to do any changes on a factory computer, set aside $500 for a tuner. Not a big deal if you planned for it. Since you have A manual trans, You also likely need an ecm that has aN OS flash for a manual trans car, such as a corvette. This helps tuning In coast situations and speedo output. Definitely in a gen IV, likely also on a gen iii. Set aside $150 for an ecm with the right OS or a reflash.
    Alternatively, You could ditch the OEM computer and look at something like what edelbrock (also Holley, etc) offers in a harness, ecu, and user control module for around $900. OEM or aftermarket, whoever is messing with the tune needs to know what they are doing.

9. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack Derby

Thanks Erik... Yes, I was referring to the mess(harness, wires, computer) that came with the engine.. I would definitely like to clean up the rats nest down the road... I had a guy come out and disable the security code so we could get it running for a few seconds(on a stand)... We added a BTR cam after that initial test start/run, so I want to get one more test (stand) done before I start to pull out the original 305 engine.. I'm still thinking I'm in way over my head on this and should stick with a 385 stroker.. But my son talked me down this path! So here we go!

Do the non OEM computer/harness ( edelbrock (also Holley, etc) offers in a harness, ecu, and user control module) come with a basic tune so I can get the car moving?

my mess;
    IMG_0285.jpg

10. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

As an alternate option, I'm running Fi Tech. It's managing my engine, trans, ac and fuel pump. I'm pushing 9k miles on this setup with zero issues.
    I'm running the engine and trans from an 05 GTO, so LS2 and 4L65E.
    I went with the Holley mounts, stock trans member and Corvette front engine assembly.
    My build thread is below.