LS Swap Fuel Lines

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Dcmusch, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Dcmusch

Dcmusch New Member

I have a 71 that I'm in the process of restoring. I have a tanks inc fuel tank with the LS fuel filter/regulator. The existing steel lines were gone when I bought the car and mechanic who did the engine swap for me rigged up some fuel lines. I need to replace them and have been reading lots of info back and forth about sizes and types. Can you please share some info about sizes, lengths, brands, kits, etc... for products you've had success with? Pics would be great for routing.

Thanks

2. orkin

orkin Veteran Member

I used 20' of PTFE braided stainless steel -6AN line from summit. It was enough to make the main line from the tank to the engine, and the return line from the engine to the back of the subframe where I pluged into the old main line. Feeds my 383 without issue.

"The Right Stuff Detailing" seems to be the go to brand for hard lines.

3. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Any 3/8" (0.030" wall or bigger) steel or stainless steel hard tubing will work fine. It takes longer to bend/install than flexible, but I think when done right it looks cleaner. There will be no strength issue with either...

Some people will suggest aluminum, but the minuscule weight savings do not outweigh the risks in my opinion.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Quality name branded hose is very expensive....It really depends on your skill and tool availability. I made my primary lines out of 3/8" stainless tube I bought in 6ft straight lengths from "in-line tube". The flared end is AN. You need a good tool to flare and bend SS lines and achieve a quality flare. I have a "Rigid" tool that cost around $125, but it works fantastic. You can easily use 3/8" mild steel and is much easier to work with. AGS is a good tube I have used them in the past and can be bought at Autozone. http://www.agscompany.com/product-category/brake-fuel-transmission-lines/poly-armour/
    The easiest path IMO is to buy pre-bent stock lines and modify the ends to accept AN and use braided hose from the tank to the main line and main line to engine. My preferred choice of braided line in Fragola PTFE. Fragola will custom make any length you need.

Nothing wrong with aluminum if its protected from debri and has spiral wrap on it. Many people use it, however I chose not to because of many reasons...

5. patpkk

patpkk Veteran Member

Great thread! I have a common interest in this as well.
    The original fuel feed line and return line may have run up the passenger side of the car and sub frame. But is your fuel rail connection not on the driver's side?

I have a LS3 and fuel rail connection is on Drivers side, so I was going to run up the drivers side for the line. Trying to avoid crossing over in engine compartment.

I am using the corvette filter/regulator as well. Thinking of mounting it just over rear axle on floor, short feed and return to tank, and only 1 line out to the engine, no fuel returning from the rail at all. MAST has recommended this set up and felt it would work fine. I am going to try it I think. Any thoughts form people and their set up?

Anyone have any objection or safety concerns to make the whole run the braided PTFE hose? Other than cost?
    I have the hose, and was going to try this instead of steel line and flaring it for an fitting.

I also would like to see what people think as well as Dcmusch.

6. badazz81z28

You can rotate the entire fuel rail 180 degrees and that puts the rail feed side on the passenger side. That's recommended because your brake lines are on the driver side and the OEM put the fuel lines on the passenger side so why not keep them there.
    Modern OEM fuel pumps do not have return lines anymore. Mine is a true single line, no return and no in-line fuel filter. It all depends on the pump you use....However if your pump doesn't have a regulator and you need to use the Vette regulator/filter, mount it where ever it's safe from road hazards, suspension movement and heat. Same with the PTFE hose....As long as its routed safely, it's fine. Warning though....PTFE hose does not bend very sharply. It will make routing a little more challenging.

7. patpkk

patpkk Veteran Member

Sometimes it is hard to see the trees for the forest. Very good idea, I will have a look at this.
    Pat

8. badazz81z28

Here’s a few shots

Attached Files:

9. badazz81z28

Missed one

Attached Files: