LS swap kit preference

mrfleet12

Veteran Member
Aug 8, 2014
West of Chicago IL
This is with ls3 WP and Stock style rad.
Gates 21837 upper(cut for best fit)
Gates 20734 lower

I have heard Dayco 70649 will fit lower, and may provide more room for turbo. I will test when I add the turbo.
I can only verify the top two though.
Thanks
I've got an LS3 in mine and am at the point of needing hoses. Picked up the same upper I used on my LS2 swap but it's not going to work the way I want it to work.

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
I like to piece the swap parts together because I find it saves some cash.
In regards to the radiator hoses I make patterns out of card board and roam around the auto parts store. Oreilly's seems to have best selection.

Repoman2

Jul 18, 2017
Roanoke, VA
Cost is a result of what you want your car to look like. If you are ok with a cowl hood than you can go with different intakes, if you use the truck intake for example. You can use the original wiring harness and update your pcm yourself, lots of info in forums. New motor mounts, Trail Blazers SS exhaust manifolds. If you want a lower turbo, you can get away with de-capped flex fuel injectors and a three bar intake sensor off of the supercharged Pontiac. Plus, if you take these steps and learn how these components work, you are now on your way to modifying tunes on your car. You are then the guy that can actually answer question about your car when asked vs I just bought it and put it on and had a guy set it up.

72BIGBLOCK

Veteran Member
Feb 2, 2008
SF
Thanks
I've got an LS3 in mine and am at the point of needing hoses. Picked up the same upper I used on my LS2 swap but it's not going to work the way I want it to you might be able to take the ls1 hose without the ps cooler and add a connection to extend it. I did that and it worked hot ever I have an ls1 but I needed to do that since the radiator was not in the stock location

mrfleet12

Veteran Member
Aug 8, 2014
West of Chicago IL
Thanks, I figured it out. While the LS3 is different, the hose I bought for the LS2 will work by slicing out the center section and joining them with the same piece I used for a steam vent on the other car. Will post a pic when I get it installed.

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
Heres the kit I used:
-5.3 vortech motor, ls6 intake, chromoly pushrods, tick blueprinted and ported oil pump, 228/230 cam, ls7 lifters, fbody oilpan
-1" setback motor mounts (used because I kept th350 & driveshaft)
-Aeromotive Stealth II tank(In tank 340LPH pump with cool foam sock, keeps you at 60psi til bone dry, took awhile to figure out I was out of fuel because of that, very impressed!)
-Speed Engineering headers
-Derale Fan on stock rad w/ PWM controller(didn't know terminator x could control so waste of money but cool piece)
-ICT brackets : Stock truck balancer, 44 Alternator,LS3 Water Pump(great for stock style radiator), Turn One power steering pump(temps are excellent!)
-Terminator X max for ECU, I have DBW and the ability to run electronic transmission in the future

View attachment 136403
That looks awesome!
I have been thinking about going to a 6.0 in my 68 lately, but just just put a fresh th350 in(and I like the way it works), glad to see I wouldn't have to do much to make that work.
My plan is to swap the tank out and go to tanks inc with the corners cut for exhaust to fit later. Then do exactly what you did basically. I want the Terminator X Max for both upgrades later and DBW throttle... that way I can have a sport tune for me and a slow tune for my wife LOL

bazookatooths

Apr 25, 2018
OKC OK
That looks awesome!
I have been thinking about going to a 6.0 in my 68 lately, but just just put a fresh th350 in(and I like the way it works), glad to see I wouldn't have to do much to make that work.
My plan is to swap the tank out and go to tanks inc with the corners cut for exhaust to fit later. Then do exactly what you did basically. I want the Terminator X Max for both upgrades later and DBW throttle... that way I can have a sport tune for me and a slow tune for my wife LOL
Yes would be super simple with DBW just limit the pedal to like 50% lol. Takes awhile to learn but, I been playing with a lopey idle tune and a smooth idle tune.

bondora68

Veteran Member
Dec 14, 2014
Mobile, AL
I went with a Corvette LS-1 5.7 and used Holley pan and mounts. Tanks inc. for fuel tank and pump. Sent my PCM and harness off to be redone...
C7017874-B35F-43BA-9386-FFC7F660FC19.jpeg

67johnny

Veteran Member
Apr 14, 2016
vancouver
What motor mounts/oil pan are best for a 4L80 trans placement.
Have been told that there may be some tunnel issues?