Ls swapped...would you do it again?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Fbird, Nov 25, 2019.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

A LT1 being a monster over the LS3? Maybe if the LT1 was in a lighter car. They have the same displacement and the only significant difference is the LT1 has a more aggressive cam. The performance is very comparable. Because of this I would buy an engine that had a larger aftermarket support. When more than than a couple options are available for things like drive accessories, intakes etc. I would gain more interest. However GDI engines are notorious for carbon build-up. Not sure if I want to deal with that. When it comes time for a new engine for me, I think I’ll stick to the large cubes of the LS

2. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

It makes a lot more down low torque than the ls3 which makes it feel like a monster in comparison.
    It actually makes the same torque as the ls7 down low which is awesome out of a much smaller engine. I would agree the direct injection is something that would suck to deal with.

3. badazz81z28

looks like Texas Speed can re-sleeve these to accommodate 427 ci too

4. TCinthe6

TCinthe6 Veteran Member

There is a certain charm when it comes to driving a carb'd big/small block. Idle nature is completely different when you compare the old school stuff to an LS platform, and I will admit that I miss the way my big block sounded sitting at a red light or in the drive way. But as mentioned by others, I turn the key, let it warm up for 30 seconds, and drive with 400+ hp at the wheel with a stock LS376/480.

There are a bunch of ways to save a couple bucks on an LS swap. If you are ok with some of those compromises and the process to get you there, then go for it. Otherwise it is not a cheap endeavour. I dare not add up how much I have spent on my swap, but the lesson learned is that "chips build chunks". All the small things add up quick. But do it right, and there's no looking back.

need-for-speed likes this.
  5. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Would I do it again, yes.

Cost out the difference in building a 400 Pontiac and picking up a LS2 or LS3 with trans.

The 2k for accessories is about right depending on what you do and how you intend to use the car. You may actually be able to come in a little cheaper.

6. bazookatooths

bazookatooths Member

I'm still working on my swap got it running a couple weeks ago. I'm surprised how beautiful this 5.3 sounds with a cam. Should be around 370HP to wheels.

I still have to hand port the heads , perfect the tune, and add a turbo,flex fuel sensor etc.... But that will have to wait until I get more funds, xmas wiped me out!

I'd do it again x100

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  7. Zee

Zee Veteran Member

Obviously this comes down to personal choice and somewhat dependant on the year of your bird. I have a 71 so I would tend to keep the earlier models (pre - 74) poncho power as I have but I can tell you if I had it all over to do again from scratch, I would definately do an LS.

I have added a roller cam, aluminum heads and am in the process of converting to FI and considering AC. Its been a LOT of time and money pretty much just to make things livable on pump gas and modern oils. Your LS will have these things right from the get go so once the conversion is complete, you can focus on either driving and enjoying the car or additional modifications to the suspension, interior etc.

I figured I would put that to the test and bought a low mile 2007 Z06 which comes from the factory with everything Pro-Tourers are putting on our cars. LS7, T56, big brakes and plenty of carbon fiber to get the weight down to a shade over 3100 lbs. I drove for about 1 1/2 years and it was an incredible car but it got maybe 10% of the appreciation and attention from people my Firebird does. So if you are going to do this, you are doing it for you and your driving/ownership experience, not for others when you pop your hood.

8. autobahn

autobahn Member

#24 Abbott Cable-X worked for me on my 78 Silverado that I swapped in a 5.3/4L60

9. autobahn

autobahn Member

I have 78 TA 5 speed 360.1 hp 400 stock rotating assembly (bore and stoke), and a 79 Camaro LS2/4L65E,they are two different animals, the 400 has a good thump at the stop light ,the LS2 is much ,much quicker

10. badazz81z28

The old engines just can't compare...My LS1...a small 346 was darn impressive. I raced at a track that was mostly SBFs/SBCs and people thought my car was Supercharged.