LS/Vintage Air swap questions/direction electrical

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Rad71z28, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Rad71z28

Rad71z28 New Member

Looking for some help with some electrical stuff as far as doing this swap. I wasnt sure if this was a good spot for this or the electrical section. Anyways, I'm curious as to what some of you other guys have done when it came to your swaps.

I'm currently in the process of wiring up my LS T56 swap in my 71 Camaro. Of course I also added more work to the project by also installing Vintage Air at the same time. To go along with the Vintage Air I also have the Terminator X system, and a Dakota Digital gauge cluster I already had installed when it was a 350 4 speed car.

So my questions to you guys are mostly regarding to electric.

1st questions an easy one. Where did you guys ground to the block? When I picked up my LS1 it was already out of the car so I never got to see how this was original hooked up.

2nd. I have two Electric fans that with the Terminator X system have two separate outputs. I would imagine I would be best off fusing them separately?

3rd. Does anyone have a good diagram/layout of a stock 71 Camaro fuse panel? I no this forum has one for a 73. Are they identical?

4th. All three of the control modules (Terminator x, Vintage Air, and Dakota Digital) need constant 24 volt power. You think I should daisy chain them all together or run a separate 24 volt wire to each one?

5th. The Termjnator X system has a required 12v switch lead that needs to be wired in as well. I would imagine this is the same as using your ACC power or key on power? And if so do you think I can daisy chain these two together from the fuse panel?

6th and I think my last question. With all these added controllers they all have additional leads that need 24 volts and ground directly from the battery. My thought was to get some kind of junction block to have all the wires go to and daisy chain them all together. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I was thinking maybe I could run one larger lead from each post of the batter to the junction block and run jumpers to all the other wires needed for all the systems. I've got five 24 volt leads coming from vintage air, Terminator x, and the two electric fans and three leads for the negative terminal.

I thought of one other question. For the altenator, I ordered the Holley 4 pin plug that needs to be connected to key on power. Do I need to do anything else? Other than the positive lead to the battery and ground? The original voltage regulator can be eliminated? I just need the purple wire to the starter I believe?

I appreciate anyone and everyone's help. I no this was a lot to all take in at once. I'm just trying to keep moving forward without staring at wiring diagrams for hours. I've got a baby on the way and sure would love to drive this old girl before theres a new one to look after!

I added a few pictures to show the progress
    Thanks again!
    A.J.

Attached Files:

2. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Replying in line:

1st questions an easy one. Where did you guys ground to the block? When I picked up my LS1 it was already out of the car so I never got to see how this was original hooked up.

You can get two ground 2 gauge wires 24in each - one goes head to head and then one goes head to chassis (you will need to drill and tap your own chassis hole).
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Accel-1843-Battery-Cable-3-Feet-2-Gauge-Black-Ground-Cable,66080.html

2nd. I have two Electric fans that with the Terminator X system have two separate outputs. I would imagine I would be best off fusing them separately?

Look at this thread:
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?48176-Holley-Terminator-X-Max-Dual-Fan-Wiring-Diagram

3rd. Does anyone have a good diagram/layout of a stock 71 Camaro fuse panel? I no this forum has one for a 73. Are they identical?
    Skipped for me, maybe someone else

4th. All three of the control modules (Terminator x, Vintage Air, and Dakota Digital) need constant 24 volt power. You think I should daisy chain them all together or run a separate 24 volt wire to each one?

5th. The Termjnator X system has a required 12v switch lead that needs to be wired in as well. I would imagine this is the same as using your ACC power or key on power? And if so do you think I can daisy chain these two together from the fuse panel?

As long as it is fused and you run each wire from the fuse panel.

6th and I think my last question. With all these added controllers they all have additional leads that need 24 volts and ground directly from the battery. My thought was to get some kind of junction block to have all the wires go to and daisy chain them all together. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I was thinking maybe I could run one larger lead from each post of the batter to the junction block and run jumpers to all the other wires needed for all the systems. I've got five 24 volt leads coming from vintage air, Terminator x, and the two electric fans and three leads for the negative terminal.

I believe you meant 12v ... the recommendation is to run each one direct to the battery if they have a fuse on their wire already if they do not you will need to add a fuse.

My Holley Dominator had a harness with a red and black wire that I ran to the battery. My dual fans ran to a fused breaker off the batter and my and my vintage air connected to the heavy duty 12v fused wire that my original AC used this is the wire above the distributor.

All my grounds went to the nearest chassis location.

Hope this helps.

3. Rad71z28

Rad71z28 New Member

Cool thanks for the help. I'm thinking maybe I'm best getting a fuse block from summit and just add a whole separate set of fuses for everything. I'm still unsure of my key on and what to do with that. The original fuse panel I dont believe has enough outputs to plug into for key on power.
    As far as what you said regarding the Terminator X system, mine has an addition Red wire for constant 24 volts for the fuel pump. The relays I have for the fans are from Dakota Digital. They require 12 volts from the battery and fuse 12 volt power.

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you 100% certain that it requires a 24v circuit?
    The only way to get 24v is to use (2) 12v batteries and connect them in series, if you connect the batteries in parallel you still have 12v.

5. Rad71z28

Rad71z28 New Member

Whoops my fault I ment 12 volt.

6. John Wright

All of your heavy draw items...fans, fuel pump, etc....should be run from relays. The light gage power wires are to supply the coil on the relay power (or ground) to switch on the heavy power from the battery or heavily fused circuit. So in short: the relay has constant power from the battery or heavily fused source, the coil on the relay is energized by the small gage power or ground wire. Once the coil is pulled in, the relay sends the heavy power to the object you are trying to run. This way you don't have constantly energized large diameter wires running the length of your car...(think fire hazard if you crumble up the car)

2ndGenCrazy likes this.
  7. Rad71z28

Rad71z28 New Member

So in this case my fused side is switched because my heavier gauge wire for the relays I have for the electric fans are literally a 10 gauge wire.

Attached Files:

2ndGenCrazy likes this.
  8. John Wright

I'm sorry, but can't read that small text with my old eyes....My relays have small 12v to one side of the relay coil and then the ECU grounds the other side. This coil closes the contacts where I have 10 ga wire from a 12v power source to power the fan. I have two fans and two relays, ECU runs one at 180 and then the other at 195, so far that has worked okay.

9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fuse panel diagram for a 71:

upload_2020-5-1_9-54-47.jpeg

It’s not a very good diagram, in my opinion, but it’s all I’ve got.
    To tell what's what... You need to follow the wiring diagram to other pages.

If you need more detail, let me know.

Hope this helps!

10. Rad71z28

Rad71z28 New Member

Alright well that's the plan of attack I'm going with the fans. Now my only issue is what to consider the best approach for all my key on 12 volt power sources. I'll have to look into my options with the wiring diagram Twisted Metal uploaded. I have the same one in my Hanes manual. I was just curious if anyone had one different that matched the front of the fuse panel. All my letters must've scratched off a long time ago