LS1 into '72 Camaro, Let It Begin!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by AndrewT, Aug 19, 2011.

1. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been waiting on the transmission guy and I'm still waiting. Haven't really done anything to the car or build besides stare at it and get impatient from time to time!

2. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Another update: Still waiting on the transmission. I finally settled on a price with him and he went and got a 2006 4L80E core. I went out and looked at it the other day, looks brand new, very low miles on the core. Hes slammed with business and is doing this as a favor for me so it'll be a little while. Just playing the waiting game, can't really move any further until I get the transmission.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  3. weircc

weircc New Member

any updates waiting to see ur pulley setup

4. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

You have really good timing. The person who is building my transmission called today, Saturday, and told me its finally finished. I was going to pick it up tomorrow but I have take someone to the airport in San Francisco and I won't be back in time so I'm going to be picking it up on Monday. As soon as I get it I'll post some pictures.

5. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Here is the update I have been waiting to post for about two months now. I haven't picked up the transmission yet because of some unforeseen circumstances that came up. However I do have a few pictures of the beast to post for you all to see. Behold the 2006 4L80E!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. jtmiller92

jtmiller92 Veteran Member

Nice project man, I cant wait to get to that point.

On a side note, for the water temperature sensor. When I did an LS1 conversion in my 3rdgen a few years back I just retapped the threads on the sensor to fit the head. There was plenty of material there to cut it down.

7. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Thank you! Now that I have the transmission I'm going to be working hard at getting it done before the summer comes and I end up working every day.

Thats what I ended up doing, I put a very low PSI air line into the water pump and taped up every other port but the one I was drilling so it'd blow out the metal shavings and tapped it out to a non metric size.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  8. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

Update: I finally was able to get enough time to spend in the garage to stick the Engine and Transmission in the car to get my clearances and see how far back I need to move my crossmember. I took some pictures of the engine mocked up with my intake and MAF:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jtmiller92

jtmiller92 Veteran Member

Looking good man. Cant wait to see the finished project.

10. cubs2008

cubs2008 Veteran Member

any mods to the trans tuneel, those transmissions are huge?