Ls3 with tremec maguim 6 speed grinding

Redrod1977

May 8, 2022
T-56's and Tremec's are notorious for gear grinding mostly in 2nd and 3rd. I have one in my car now that has the dreaded 2nd gear grind above 12mph. I talked with Tremec and the rep said might be a pad fell of the fork or the fork is bent, either way it's gotta come apart and they suck to work on as I did them for years at GM. Funny thing was when I put the 6 speed in my car was all good in all 6 gears, no grinding. The next spring off the hoist and it's 2nd grinds all the time. New blocker rings and a set of carbon fiber syncro's will most likely be needed.
Oh man I hope not tye transmission only has 500 km on it

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
T-56's and Tremec's are notorious for gear grinding mostly in 2nd and 3rd. I have one in my car now that has the dreaded 2nd gear grind above 12mph. I talked with Tremec and the rep said might be a pad fell of the fork or the fork is bent, either way it's gotta come apart and they suck to work on as I did them for years at GM. Funny thing was when I put the 6 speed in my car was all good in all 6 gears, no grinding. The next spring off the hoist and it's 2nd grinds all the time. New blocker rings and a set of carbon fiber syncro's will most likely be needed.
My tko 600 started grinding into 2nd every shift 2 years ago. It had 500 miles on it. I had paid for the CF synchro upgrade. I called Silver Sport, they said they had a bad batch of CF synchros, and had me send it back to them. They were great about it, had it back in 2 weeks, but I really didn't need the re/re job at the time.
It's been great since, except for the smallest catch when cold, but I really think its because of the fluid change.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
T56 Magnum here, I've had good luck with the Pennzoil "synchromesh" fluid #3501, that's what Silver Sport told me to use. Got the blocker ring and triple CF upgrade, and STX shifter, no grinding and I shift over 7k everytime I drive 'er.

Roller pilot bushing and proper indexing was KEY in my view due to the trans taper bearing design.

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
T56 Magnum here, I've had good luck with the Pennzoil "synchromesh" fluid #3501, that's what Silver Sport told me to use. Got the blocker ring and triple CF upgrade, and STX shifter, no grinding and I shift over 7k everytime I drive 'er.

Roller pilot bushing and proper indexing was KEY in my view due to the trans taper bearing design.
I should give it a try. When I had called they said to use ATF. I wonder if it would get rid of my 3rd gear nibble.

I have no issues with high rpm shifting, only cold in traffic shifting(if I shift fast) if I take it easy it doesn't nibble.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Nibble is a good word for it. I took mine out 2 days ago, outside temp was 30c, it didn't do it once. If it wasnt such a prick to fill while in the car, I'd try ATF or a different oil to see if it makes a diff. Tremec has recommended ATF for many manuals over the years. It has to be similar to synchromesh fluid. Mine really isnt even broken in yet either.

Redrod1977

May 8, 2022
Nibble is a good word for it. I took mine out 2 days ago, outside temp was 30c, it didn't do it once. If it wasnt such a prick to fill while in the car, I'd try ATF or a different oil to see if it makes a diff. Tremec has recommended ATF for many manuals over the years. It has to be similar to synchromesh fluid. Mine really isnt even broken in yet either.
I bought a 12v transfer pump on Amazon works amazing. Fast and cheap to fill. You should try a transfer pump 12v or a 120v one. I'm not sure want to do. Pull it to check the ru out or change the fluid

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I bought a 12v transfer pump on Amazon works amazing. Fast and cheap to fill. You should try a transfer pump 12v or a 120v one. I'm not sure want to do. Pull it to check the ru out or change the fluid
Go for the cheap and easy option first. But, if you didn't check runout as part of your install, it will always be a nagging question mark. And may cause warranty issues if needed later on.

Redrod1977

May 8, 2022
Go for the cheap and easy option first. But, if you didn't check runout as part of your install, it will always be a nagging question mark. And may cause warranty issues if needed later on.
Totally agree. Trans is coming out as soon as I get the quicktime adapter plate for the runout.

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
I took mine out Saturday at 90*f and it didn't do it but it was definitely notchy into 3rd until it warmed up.
Otherwise that trans is amazing

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I took mine out Saturday at 90*f and it didn't do it but it was definitely notchy into 3rd until it warmed up.
Otherwise that trans is amazing
Yes. Kinda kicking my own ass for not going with the 6 speed , but 5 is good for now and I will keep my eyes open for deals on a 6.

Latest posts