Ls3 with tremec maguim 6 speed grinding

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
Yes. Kinda kicking my own ass for not going with the 6 speed , but 5 is good for now and I will keep my eyes open for deals on a 6.
Honestly, the 5 would probably be good enough for me. The only time I use 6th is at 65mph or faster. It is nice to have, but I would have been happy with the 5 speed as well.
I just like way any of these transmissions work

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Yes. Kinda kicking my own ass for not going with the 6 speed , but 5 is good for now and I will keep my eyes open for deals on a 6.

I went from a 5 to 6 speed, was contemplating the same thing when I had issues with the 5 spd. The TKX was not out yet, that could of changed things. But I love the T56 Magnum, anything after 120kph, I grab 6th, noise goes down, milage up, and you get to where you are going just a little quicker LOL.

NB: I used ATF for the first 500 mile break in, then the 3501 Pennzoil afterwards.

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
I went from a 5 to 6 speed, was contemplating the same thing when I had issues with the 5 spd. The TKX was not out yet, that could of changed things. But I love the T56 Magnum, anything after 120kph, I grab 6th, noise goes down, milage up, and you get to where you are going just a little quicker LOL.

NB: I used ATF for the first 500 mile break in, then the 3501 Pennzoil afterwards.
I went looking for that pennzoil, do you know where I can find it?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Found it on amazon using the pennzoil website: Link

Last edited:

Redrod1977

May 8, 2022
So today was the day I pull out the transmission to check what's the problem. Will I found two thing asap. First. Pilot bearing broke. No major damage to input shaft on transmission. God bless second I check the runout. Out .016"

hd_cat

Veteran Member
Sep 6, 2013
United States
Be sure the clutch is disengaging enough to allow the gears to match speeds and mesh properly. Be sure that pedal travel is adequate, when I first installed the mechanical clutch assembly (4-speed conversion) I used a replacement pedal stop that was too thick, the correct one allowed at least an additional 1/8" pedal travel which allowed the clutch to disengage to allow shifting into reverse. I expect your situation to be different, as I assume you have a hydraulic clutch, but the theory is the same, adequate travel facilitates proper disengagement. Good luck!

kdsracing

Mar 13, 2009
Apple Valley, CA
I have a new build 68 camaro that I am having some issues with the drive train. When I drive it nice it grinds 1st to 2nd and even 3rd. Shifting. But when I beat the poo out of it I have no problems. I have a McCloud dual clutch setup. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
Raymond
It seems strange to me but I have a Dodge Challenger that I bought with 7000 miles on it. The 3 - 2 downshift used to grind. After s as short time it stopped doing that though. It seems like it just needed to break in. It’s fine now. If your trans was new, maybe that is what is going on with yours.

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
So today was the day I pull out the transmission to check what's the problem. Will I found two thing asap. First. Pilot bearing broke. No major damage to input shaft on transmission. God bless second I check the runout. Out .016"
The issue is more than likely your throw out bearing causing slight drag on the input shaft for what issues you were having. As for runnout, is that total to one side or after seeing both sides?:
4. After verifying the 2 points are 180 degrees apart, it’s time to get out the calculator. Subtract the lower number from the higher number then take the solution and divide it by 2. If your number is greater than .005”, you’re outside of the tolerance allowed by Tremec.

For instance, if your high point was .015” and your low point was .007” the difference would be .008” (.015-.007=.008).

When you divide .008” by 2, you get .004”. .004” is less than .005” so this example would fall within the tolerance.

If you’re within the tolerance, this is your last step!

Looking back at my setup, I had 0.002 on mine

Redrod1977

May 8, 2022
The issue is more than likely your throw out bearing causing slight drag on the input shaft for what issues you were having. As for runnout, is that total to one side or after seeing both sides?:
4. After verifying the 2 points are 180 degrees apart, it’s time to get out the calculator. Subtract the lower number from the higher number then take the solution and divide it by 2. If your number is greater than .005”, you’re outside of the tolerance allowed by Tremec.

For instance, if your high point was .015” and your low point was .007” the difference would be .008” (.015-.007=.008).

When you divide .008” by 2, you get .004”. .004” is less than .005” so this example would fall within the tolerance.

If you’re within the tolerance, this is your last step!

Looking back at my setup, I had 0.002 on mine
Look at the 1.30 4.30 7.30 and the 10.30

Redrod1977

May 8, 2022
At the 7.30 I got 0" at the 1.30 I got .032.
At the 4.30 I got 0.023 and the 10.30 I got 0.009

When I spoke to Gary at American powertrain he said I needed a 0.014 dowel to the 3 o'clock position

Sorry the pic is not loading to big

Latest posts