LT-1 Camshaft

seventyzee

Jun 22, 2007
greenland, new hampshire
I have an original 70 Z28 with a 4 speed and 373 gears. The engine has the original intake, carb, heads, and exhaust. The only modification is a reduction in compression to 10:1 with the pistons. That being said a lost a lobe on the cam and need to replace it with a new solid lifter one. Any recommendations would be helpful. I am leaning towards a stock like replacement.

Thanks

l16pilot

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 13, 2004
Hurlock, MD, USA
Exactly what 450bench said. I compared the specs of all the cams I could find that claimed to be equivalent to the 70 LT-1 cam and Howard's was the closest. I've used two of them so far, (along with their EDM lifters), with no issues at all.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
I would run a CC 282-S for the street if you like a solid lifter cam, you could also use the 294-S if you need that nasty idle. No one is going to know you didn't use an LT1 cam.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
I lost 2 solid lifter cams in my 70 Z28 using the best oils with ZDDP and decided to go roller. Enough is enough. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Today’s FT cams are made with cheap steel and a so so called hardening process. Good luck with your new cam.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
steel, repeat steel flat tappet cams are quite the exception --- all shelf stock are cast iron. And some of those cast cores are lousy. Many Many aftermarket rollers are made of cast iron as well; some on crap cores too.
Always gets my goat when guys get mugged for over $300 for cast iron roller. Summit has a few steel sbc rollers for about $270.
OTOH AFAIK, ALL OE Chev-GM sbc BBC/LS roller cams ground on a relatively mild grade (1055) of billet steel.

Latest posts