LT-1 Camshaft

Rustbucket350

Veteran Member
Sep 4, 2013
Oviedo, Florida
I've used probably 10 flat tappet cams in the last 15 years and lost 3 all in the same motor. That was due to me using too much spring pressure and longer rockers. One other motor failed completely but that was because it was old and ragged out so when it got a new cam stuffed in it just blew the bearings right out. Severe rod knock. Doesn't matter much to me what the cams are made of as long as they work, and they usually do. Total cheap cams lost due to metallurgy... 0.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Exactly what 450bench said. I compared the specs of all the cams I could find that claimed to be equivalent to the 70 LT-1 cam and Howard's was the closest. I've used two of them so far, (along with their EDM lifters), with no issues at all.

X2^^^ I have many of these EDM's out there, that's the secret to having them live a very long life. I'd rather the offset EDM, but have used both with great results.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Noise is still plentiful with a roller.

My building partner and I have found that many Hyd. Rollers are "noisy" some brands/grinds more than others. Just as noisy as a tight lash solid FT cam, it's ok as some customers are happy because they have the "sound" without the "hassle" of checking lash.

Some are not as happy because they spent 3x+ the money, have all that "noise" without the high RPM stability.....guess it depends what you want.

Listening to your video COPO, If I did not know, it's sounds like a solid tight lash to me....

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
My hyd roller is 1/2 turn down from 0 lash using the up/down movement to get to 0. No spinning for me.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
OK, are you using CM Roller Rockers or Aluminum ones, the CM can be noisy in some cases??

Just did a few new race engines the last few weeks, Hyd, 0 lash and 1/4 turn only. GM states 0 lash to 1/4 max on their engines.

Some Hyd. Rollers are just noisy....regardless of lash.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
I’m using 1.52 Comp Magnum Roller Tip Rockers, part # 1412-16 rather than the stock 0 arms with 1 piece Comp hardened pushrods. Some time after the video I used the EOIC valve adjustment method which seems better with a smoother idle than using the shop manual’s procedure.
comprollertip.JPG

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Yes, the EOIC is the best way, and it does not take long to see a cam's "personality" in doing that way, as in how open on the ex, and how closed on the intake.

Latest posts