LT1 Air Cleaner

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 1981zapper, Jun 15, 2010.

1. 1981zapper

1981zapper Veteran Member

Would a 1970 LT1 Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner fit with a HEI Distributor?

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

there's two versions of that air cleaner ........you need the one for the 74 model as it is designed for HEI

3. 1981zapper

A friend of a friends has one and says its from a 1970 but not 100% sure, how can i tell which verison it is? i was thinking of putting it on my 81

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 74 Z/28 version has an offset carb hole in the base which positions the air filter assembly forward to clear the larger HEI cap. The 70' style is centered

5. 1981zapper

So this would be a 1970-73 Verison?
    [​IMG]

6. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I am looking for an original 70-71 Z-28 A/C Base.................

Please contact below Email

7. 1974Z28

1974Z28 Veteran Member

The 1970 LT1 dual snorkel air cleaner can be modified slightly to fit with a HEI. It already has a cut out for the distributer it just needs to be enlarged a little more to clear the HEI. I would not do this to an orginal air cleaner but they are being reproduced so I don't feel bad about "clearancing" a reproduction.

The 1974 Z28 dual snorkel air cleaner is a one year only air cleaner and is not being reproduced so they are somewhat rare. It will also not work with a Holley carb with center hung floats.

8. Glens1970

Glens1970 Member

Let me pick your brain alittle I want to put one of these on my 70 and I kinda need to know how much of a drop does this aircleaner have because I put a performer rpm air gap in my 70 and I think its gonna be a challenge to get an aircleaner to fit plus I want it to look kinda original with some lt1 valve covers. So maybe you could measure from where it sits on the carb to the aircleaner lid???? Or maybe somebody already knows it off the top of their head?

9. BARNFIND

BARNFIND Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A Holley will NOT fit under a 74 version, the bowls hit.

[​IMG]

the one on the left fits a 74 ,you can see the diff in this pic.

10. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

LT1 used a GM base designed for a HOLLEY CARB. Short snorkel unit Z28 in 74 was designed to mate correctly with a QUADRAJET Carb. , but I have seen them "ADJUSTED" to work on the Holley...

AN original 1974 Z28 AIR CLEANER ( one year only) has short EXACT 3" snorkels measured from base to tip of snorkel. Both had chrome lids. The lid was also unique as it had a additional rim bend around the lid to mate with the rubber filter gasket .

There were two Z28 aircleaner LABELS for that year. One for each ignition version appparently.

Points car came with GM KEEP your GM car all GM label "DW" use AC FILTER 329C ........some of these also have big dents in them too. ? What I observed , but can't berify the history.

HEI Z28 aircleaner base , if it is original has a "DY" GM keep Your GM Car all GM factory applied LABEL use AC filter 329C.

My 1974 Camaro is a late HEI car and has the GM LABEL "DY" aircleaner it left the factory with . There is a 1/4 moonshaped dent about 5 inchs long and 2 inchs deep at the back of the base. Everything lines up good The HEI Dist.cap assy leading edge fits nicely into that dent with maybe 3/4 - 1 inch to spare.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010