LT1 Conversion

ruthlessz28

Veteran Member
May 9, 2009
carpetersvill, il
Maybe I'm digging up a dead horse, but I'm picking up an 97 Camaro Lt1 intake, harness and computer. I've searched and read a ton of articles, but a lot I've found was old and alot of pictures didn't come up any more. has any one done this recently, or have good info on it.
The will be LT1 intake one a gen1 sbc.

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
Years ago they used to have that conversion... putting a LT1 intake onto a Gen1 small block, running 3rd gen TPI ECM and harness if I recall correctly.

Probably not that common anymore.

Besides, with the LT1 PCM and harness, you'd have to run the opti-spark distributor, which you can't do on a Gen1 SBC.

Joekool

Veteran Member
Feb 4, 2002
Hollister CA USA
Seems like a lot of work for a below average efi manifold. Some problems you"ll have to over come:

No coolant cross over for thermostat on an lt1 (they are reverse flow cooling systems and thermostat is mounted on water pump)
Need to adapt oil pump drive gear from lt1 to bolt into a gen1 block or you'll have no oil flow.
No room for dist, no drive for opti-spark.
Theres other issues but I'm drawing a blank at the moment, those three I pointed out are pretty hard to over come anyways and will probably kill your swap idea

ruthlessz28

Veteran Member
May 9, 2009
carpetersvill, il
Joekool, I know there are better intake EFI set ups out there but his an old school cool build. back when i first got this car a TPI LT1 was a hot modd. and I just like the way it looks in a second Gen. The LS just looks off to me.
coolant flow T-Stat Im working on that.
Oil pump no problem intake will get drilled and a sleeve welded in place for a dist. plus if i don't go that way i have LT1 oil pump drive
There is room for a small cap dist. with EGR removed and caped off. or MSD has a CPC dist. to control individual coils that is very small.
There are a good amount of kits to run this intake on old SBC. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
Seems like a lot of work for a below average efi manifold. Some problems you"ll have to over come:

No coolant cross over for thermostat on an lt1 (they are reverse flow cooling systems and thermostat is mounted on water pump)
Need to adapt oil pump drive gear from lt1 to bolt into a gen1 block or you'll have no oil flow.
No room for dist, no drive for opti-spark.
Theres other issues but I'm drawing a blank at the moment, those three I pointed out are pretty hard to over come anyways and will probably kill your swap idea
Don't you know it!

GM still offers a riculously over-priced Gen II intake for conventional distributor

1650500889014.png

basturd red-headed stepchild

Latest posts