LT1 guys I need info (LS1 might know)

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by purpleflame, Jan 10, 2011.

1. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

so I dont like how everyone hates the dreaded opti at high rpms Im told they arc out. So being that my LT4 intake has been machined for a distributor what dizzy would I want to get and what would it take ti set up? I know the blocking plate would need to come off and the intake would need pulled to set up the gear to run off the pump( Ive had the motor apart and seen that part) but what would I do for the signal to the computer? would I need to install a crank trigger some how or do they make a dizzy that has it built in some how? Kinda stumped on this one. heres a pic of the mainfold.

[​IMG]

2. Mike1970RS

Mike1970RS Veteran Member

This is not cheap but this gets rid of the opti completely www.eficonnections.com . This will be going on my 94 in the spring as I am tired of the Opti (5th one) and miss that I can not get rid off.

3. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

You'll need to change your PCM entirely. The LT1 PCM needs the opti or else you have to get a crank trigger ignition from MSD. Changing the PCM would be cheaper/easier. Personally, I say you're wasting your time. Unless you are building one serious motor that's pushing the limits of an LT1, you don't need to worry about the opti. There are a tremendous number of people out there with opti sparks that have no issues. The people that do have issues just happen to be vocal about it, that's all.

The only other issue that I would say warrants a change from the opti to a distributor or to the LS1 PCM like Mike posted is if you plan to run boost. The factory LS1 PCM reads boost and the LT1/4 PCMs can't.

4. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

thats what I thought either way is exspensive.
    Crank triiger wheel and distributor around $600
    LS1 PCM, wiring harness,coils new tune $$$$
    My motor is built to the hilt nothing stock in it more like overkill,hoping to push around 600 hp w/396" of stroked lt4. from what Ive seen from others with a similar motor, cam should rev to 8000rpm's thus the worry of the opti heard people say they are only good to 7000 tops. mines brand new GM, and Ive got the newer vented timing cover and went with a mezeir electric pump.hopefully it'll hold up for me.

5. RaycerX81

RaycerX81 Veteran Member

140k on my original opti and still going strong. I have had HEI distributors go out way before that.

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Just stick with GM Performance Optis and you will be fine. I have 260k on a
    '93 Camaro Z28 and 230K on a '95 Impala SS, we had a '95 Z28 go close to
    200k on the original opti never a miss. On the '93 Camaro Z28 I replaced the
    opti at ~150K but it turned out to be the coil (they were $600 bucks at the
    time!! - I fell for the "its the opti!!" comments on related forums). The Impala
    is the only one I had fail, yet it still made it 55 miles home, that was at 175k.

People that have had failures most likely used the cheap replacements, or it
    was installed wrong. I have even had a water pump failure on the '95 that
    poured hot coolant on the opti .. not a problem. On the 92-94 they did not
    have a vent, people claim the 95-97 are better, but I personally have not an
    experience that would support that.

Tom

7. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

If your motor is built that well, you should go ahead and make the switch.