LT1 Swap Question, Could really use some help

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 91chevywt, Jan 29, 2009.

1. 91chevywt

91chevywt Veteran Member

[​IMG]

In the picture, the hose #16, what is its purpose? I know its not for a heater hose, and I have both of my radiator hoses hooked up. What is it's purpose? Oh, and I wasn't going to run coolant through the throttle body, so do I need it? I was hoping to cap it off, since I don't really have anywhere to plug that port into. What did LT1 swappers do?

2. Mike1970RS

Mike1970RS Veteran Member

It is for the oil cooler . The port of the pump ran to the cooler on the oil filter and the then back the bottom of the radiator . I took mine of my 94 and just looped the hose . If you are not using a LT1 radiator you can pull the pipe and tap the hole for pipe plug. Or make a aluminum plug and weld it in . The only problem I see with welding , it might shorten the pump seal life .

3. 91chevywt

91chevywt Veteran Member

I'm running the stock 2nd gen radiator, so I will block that off. Thanks, I have a cap that I will put on temporarily, and use a hose clamp to hold it back and hopefully it won't leak. Eventually, i'll probably do a pipe plug, so if I ever need to use the water pump as a core it won't be questionable when it's welded up.

4. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure that hose goes onto the water pump, though I can't remember what specific purpose it serves. I just remember taking it off when I had to change the waterpump on my LT1 (97 Z28). I am certain thats not a tranny cooler hose, as my car has that hose (its a 6-spd car) and it goes to the waterpump.

I can double check to see whats actually on the car for you on the weekend if you like...?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  5. 91chevywt

91chevywt Veteran Member

Well, I'm hoping to fire up the car tomorrow. Not going to drive it a long distance or anything, just want to move it around some. I know there is a port on the water pump that the hose connects to, I just wasn't sure what its purpose was. It does make sense that it was for the oil cooler though. If you don't mind looking to confirm, that would be great. All I have is that diagram to go by, and I can't really tell what the purpose of it is.

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I bet an LT-1 radiator would slip into your car easy.

As an aside, John aka PapmeredZ on the nj site is very good with the lt motors.

7. 91chevywt

91chevywt Veteran Member

Thats what I was going to do first, but I wasn't crazy about how it mounted, since in the '93 it is mounted on a slant.

[​IMG]

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You can't mount it straight? I thought they slanted it to fit it, not for any other reason. I've seen people use the LS1 rads in other apps mounted straight.

But that rad cap does look awful high.

9. drptop70ss

drptop70ss Veteran Member

Radiator is mounted at a slant in the F body from the factory, and the radiator cap stub is angled to be horizontal when the radiatior is slanted. Regardless I mounted mine straight up in my car and do not have a problem with the cap being crooked.
    Also the stub on the water pump is for the oil cooler, you can block off the hookup point at the lower left side of the radiator and either plug the hose on the water pump or use a B body pump (no oil cooler of that design on the caprice).

10. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

You know what, you may be right, it may indeed be for the oil cooler after all, though it appears mine has been bypassed or was never equipped with it.

Heres a pic of the factory setup I found:

[​IMG]

I checked mine for you today, and mine just has the hose going straight from the waterpump and into the fitting on the rad.

Hope this helps! ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009