M-21 hurst shifter

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by flidoug, Jan 14, 2018.

1. flidoug

flidoug Member

What is the correct shifter available now for ‘70 camaro M-21 w/ Console?
    Thanks...

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

70 Camaros with 4 speed got a Hurst shifter. There should be two versions. One fits Saginaw trannys and the other one fits Muncie trannys. If you search this forum, there are discussions about the shifter and how it differs from the ones Hurst supplied as aftermarket.

3. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am pretty sure there was only one Hurst shifter for all 70 Camaro 4-speed applications with the difference between the Saginaw and Muncie being the shifter reverse rod and arm.

If you're looking for factory-original components for a Muncie, look for 5617 1-2 rod, 5619 3-4 rod and 5621 reverse rod. For aftermarket components that will fit, I am sure Hurst still offers the Competition Plus with all the rods and arms necessary.

4. flidoug

flidoug Member

Thanks for all your help. I have another question that should belong in another topic but here goes. I just got my car back on the ground after taking it off the frame and replacing all bushings, shocks, leaf springs, rear sway bar,etc. It looked like it was sitting a little high in the back so I referenced the assembly manual and specs said it should measure 7.49 in. shipped and it now measures approx 9”. Granted it does not have anything re- installed,almost nothing but is it possible it will come to correct height after all components are in? Thoughts? Sorry, that measurement is from top of axle to bottom of frame.

5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

For correct shifter parts call David's 4 speeds in Milwaukee, WI. To get the suspension to settle make sure all the contact points are well lubed and then put about 400 pounds of anything in the trunk and wait about a week. It WILL settle.

flidoug likes this.
  6. flidoug

flidoug Member

Thanks.. I’ll give it a try...

7. camaroz22

camaroz22 Member

I purchased a new comp. plus shifter and install kit for a "71" w/console back in July when they had a $75.00 rebate. Believe fits 70-72, not installed yet. Muncie M-21
    Shifter# HUR3916848 $367.08
    Install Kit# HUR3737897 $219.62
    I'm in it for $511.00
    Hurst-Shifters Online LLC

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    flidoug likes this.
  8. PaulC

PaulC Member

About 30 years ago I installed a Hurst Competition Plus shifter in my '71 with Muncie trans. and console. Fit perfectly, no modifications required, even the backdrive linkage works. That shifter even fits a Borg-Warner Super T-10 trans.