Magnaflow Transverse Exhaust install

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Citrus_Z28, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Citrus_Z28

Citrus_Z28 Member

I can't find anyone to make the right looking tail pipes, and it's just to tight on my floor, and rattles on the qtr panel. The sound is great, but I bought a 74 Z and it needs a new exhaust.

2. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

Well, if you need a new exhaust, twisted has the right idea. Thrush makes a great transverse setup; I'm using it as well. Probably not as deep and throaty as a magnaflow, but I think it sounds good. A buddy of mine also has the same exhaust on his camaro. He has a hi-po 383, while I have a lowly stockish 305. While the exhaust and cars are the same, the note coming from the exhaust is completely different, and you would swear the exhausts were not the same. So moral of the story, if you have a decent engine, sound will come by itself.

3. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  4. oledave60

oledave60 Veteran Member

I have Flowmaster transverse and hate it. Can not keep it from hitting some part of the car and don't like the sound.

5. snowcone

snowcone Veteran Member

6. BobsRS/Z28

BobsRS/Z28 New Member Lifetime Gold Member

D&R Classic sells a very nice stock system that has the correct muffler and tail pipes with hangers that are angled almost correctly and sounds pretty good. I installed this system on my 71 Z28 and it sounds pretty good. I bought the correct muffler and tailpipe hangers off someone on this site last year and they were great reproductions. Good luck. Bob

7. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

The pypes stainless X pipe transverse mandrel bent system fits great and nothing hangs lower than the sub frames. They have optional stock looking tips also. Big difference IMO in regular bent and mandrel bent when it comes to flow.. I have the 2.5'' pypes trans system on my 81, installed it myself in a couple of hours. Really an easy install. Sounds good and is not crazy loud. Lots of sound clips on the web.

8. FTWayner

FTWayner Member

+1 on the Pypes system.
    I only had to trim the X-pipe to get the muffler where I wanted it.
    Added their recommended collectors and tips (semi-expensive), and used stainless bands instead of welding or U-bolts (car is not finished, good for dis-assembly)
    Sounds great and I love it.