Manual Brake Question

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by K1ng0011, Mar 29, 2019.

1. K1ng0011

K1ng0011 Veteran Member

I have a 1972 camaro. My Camaro came with manual brakes from the factory. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience adding braided brake lines to the factory manual brakes and how it affects the pedal feel. It is a pretty well known fact that adding braided brake lines makes the pedal feel better. I would like to know if it worth it for manual brakes based on anyone's personal experience.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Kind of goes to the old saying that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. If the rubber lines are starting to show their age and you want to upgrade, then replace with braided. I have power brakes and when I changed to braided, didn't notice any difference. But if I had it to do over again, I would still go braided.

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

My first 71 had stock manual, rubber lines, lot to be desired. I converted my 72 from Power to manual, and used braided lines in place of rubber. Quicker response and anything to limit the extra pedal travel is a +. Braided is well worth it be it manual or power IMHO.

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you still are using the original brake lines, I would say change them as they swell over time , from the work that they do, and the braided lines, will not swell when the pressure is applied

5. K1ng0011

K1ng0011 Veteran Member

My original rubber brake lines have been replaced with new rubber lines maybe a year ago so they are fine. I had just read some things on the internet that might suggest that braided lines might improve pedal feel of manual brakes more significantly than power brakes. I had wondered if anyone had any personal experience doing that. My experience with brake pedal feel on manual brakes is that it is more inconsistent than power brakes. By inconsistent is the pedal travel seems to vary more than power brakes. If I am having a spirited drive with manual brakes they get hot and the pedal travel before anything happens is much more significant with power brakes. Power brakes kind of just stop working which is scary but up until that point they have a better feeling than manual brakes.

Brake Components Replaced:
    Front Rotors
    Front Calipers
    Front Pads
    Brake Master Cylinder (bled on vice prior to install)
    Brake Proportioning Valve
    Front & Rear Rubber Brake Lines
    Verified Rod to Brake Pedal is in Correct Hole
    Verified No Leaks Included Rear Wheel Cylinders

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Perhaps the inconsistency your feeling with the varying or "additional" pedal travel is not only heat but perhaps rotor hub flex & pad-piston knock back, due to the pedal ratio of the manual, it magnifies the feeling compared to power setup.

7. TCinthe6

TCinthe6 Veteran Member

If the car only sees street duty, the lines were recently replaced, and you have no intention of adding a booster or upgrading the calipers, MC, and rotors, don't bother.

+95% of production cars today come with rubbers lines from the factory.

If/when you choose to make some further upgrades, then do the braided lines.

8. K1ng0011

K1ng0011 Veteran Member

Alright thanks for everyone's input I will have to think about it. I may upgrade the brakes in the future but need wheels/tires first. So it is potentially a year or maybe two out. Just looking to see if there were any cheap ways to do it now.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Braided lines are better than rubber lines. Like mentioned, if they are not old or cracking-leaking I would let them be