Manual brakes to power

BigBlock73

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 10, 2002
Accord,New York
phone_number_light.png

Give Right Stuff a call and see what the say.
You might need to piece together the parts.

I got all new brake line for my install.
Proportioning valve is relocated to a different spot for power brakes.You might be able to modify the original lines to work.

You could try a WTB ad in the Swap Meet section

haroldpo6

Veteran Member
May 9, 2015
PC Fl
All the pics I have seen of a 1969 Camaro master/booster combo look just like the one on my 70. Maybe I have a early run 70 that got the 69 parts?

haroldpo6

Veteran Member
May 9, 2015
PC Fl
This is on a 1969 Camaro, mine looks the same except no booster.

Attachments

• master 3.jpg
    master 3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 120

haroldpo6

Veteran Member
May 9, 2015
PC Fl
Right Stuff said I would only need the master(DBMC01) and booster(RPB1006), but would need new front brake lines(FKT7006) since the master would be moved 8" out from the firewall. Also said the 70 model was a 1 yr deal that GM went in the wrong direction. Said GM got better beginning in 71.

hogg

Veteran Member
Dec 29, 2000
pegram,tn.,cheatam
Have a new ,from summit , master cyl front disc /rear drum ,and there 70-81 disc /rear drum brass looking proporshing value, i thank it also replaces the meettering valve, still in boxes , Went with 4 wheel disc brakes instead,( $60.00 + the ride for both). They been setting in ther box in plastic for 2+ years ,never have had fluid put in them. I would think they should be ok. I don't know any easy way to test them.

haroldpo6

Veteran Member
May 9, 2015
PC Fl
Have a new ,from summit , master cyl front disc /rear drum ,and there 70-81 disc /rear drum brass looking proporshing value, i thank it also replaces the meettering valve, still in boxes , Went with 4 wheel disc brakes instead,( $60.00 + the ride for both). They been setting in ther box in plastic for 2+ years ,never have had fluid put in them. I would think they should be ok. I don't know any easy way to test them.
Thanks, but I already ordered from Summit.

haroldpo6

Veteran Member
May 9, 2015
PC Fl
Got the power brakes installed and they work great. Right Stuff was wrong, you don't need the front brake lines kit, but you will need the front to rear line or you can extend the line forward about 6" Also had to slot the 2 holes on the booster to fit the 4 studs in firewall. Also when changing from manual to power you will need a small metal piece that comes with power brakes cars to make the brake light work right, or make your own. To make this job a lot easier, your hands need to be no larger then that of a 6-8yr old.

Tpichevy

Veteran Member
Jun 21, 2016
Boise id
So I have a CPP booster prop valve and master for disk disk sitting waiting to be installed on my 70 with manual brakes. What brand brake lines do you buy for the lines to reach?

haroldpo6

Veteran Member
May 9, 2015
PC Fl
You can get them from Right Stuff Detaining, thru Summit. I extended mine with some fittings from Autozone. Didn't what to wait on shipment again.
Summit # FIN7001

Attachments

• mc 001.JPG
    mc 001.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 128

Fan SS

Feb 13, 2022
Amarillo TX
I also have a 1970 Camaro. If you are not a hardcore for keeping everything stock, you can convert everything in your brake system to a 1971 set up which is better anyway. The big brass block under the master cylinder is the main distribution block. It works along with the round front hold off valve which delays the fluid a sec. until it's needed, then the triangular brass valve is the rear hold off valve which delays the rear brakes from actuating all at the same time. In 1971 even the performance Camaros went to a true proportioning block that does all the functions of the three valves and the birdsnest of lines in the 1970 only Camaros. I chose to do away with all the stuff you have, and replaced it with all the parts from 1971 which is the big brass combination vave, two lines from said valve to the master cyl. use your two lines from the front to the comb. valve, and then the large line from the end of the comb. valve to the rear of the car. The fitting on the, front to back, hard line that goes into the combination valve is a different size than the 1970 line has. I replaced the line because of damage mine had. There may be another way to go on that, I did not research that. It all works the same as before only it looks a whole lot cleaner. Inline Tube makes a front to back line for manual brakes, and one for power brakes which are different because of length for booster and all. Be sure you get disc. to drum or disc. to disc. which ever you decide to go on the combination valve. Good luck, its not that tough a job, just the cost.