Manual shifter vibration

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by BigBlock73, Jan 1, 2021.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Those weights are not always centered which causes problems. A guy I know had this kit and the weights blew apart jamming his clutch. While it was out I refreshed his Muncie.

This sample is off a YouTube video from a 73 Z28 with a vibration. Once the weights were off, the vibration went away.
    F6224B61-1B5B-4CD2-8FA2-4B6C1B4112CA.jpeg

70lt1z28 likes this.
  2. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The weather isn't very good for test drives right now.
    If I get to pull trans and inspect flywheel, I will be looking for someplace that can surface and check balance of it.
    Any recommendations ?

Are you saying your vibration was from a rebuilt trans that then was rebuilt again and fixed the problem?

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

You could always jack up the back and put it on jackstands, take the back wheels off, put the lug nuts back on to hold the back brake shoes on and run it up to 60 that way. If you chock the front wheels, its not going anywhere. Just don't forget and try putting it into reverse while its spinning. This takes the back wheels balance out of the equation.

4. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Yes , my rebuilt trans was rebuilt and fixed it.Hanging up in 4th, then grind into 3-4 shifts got worse. Out it came.

5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

What fly wheel is it? Big block 454?

6. BigBlock73

It has a 396 with a new flywheel
    Don't remember the manufacturer of the flywheel but can go thru the receipts and see if I can find it.

80sz what was the cause of the vibration?

7. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Driveline vibrations are a female dog to find! I had one in my 64 Chevy II Nova that I put a 12 bolt into it with new GM axles. Turned out the axles had the wheel bearing surface machined wrong!

But that was unusual.

Usually it's the driveshaft. Take it to a shop that builds/repairs/balances driveshafts. It's the least expensive and easiest fix to do.

If you still have the vibration, find a friend or repair shop that you can put the car up on a two post lift and run it to find that pesky problem.

8. Postmech

Postmech Member

Some times abnormal combustion ( detonation, pre-ignition, weak cylinder) will cause a vibration under load. Loose parts in driveline or binding u-joints or driveshaft angle also. Most Hurst shifters I've had rattle a little after a while. If bellhousing isn't dialed in it could cause shifter to jump around and rattle. Vibrations are hard to find sometimes. Just info.

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

4th was getting stuck in gear. Had rebuilt and mainshaft was bad. Broken teeth on gears. I asked about flywheel 396 is neutral balanced correct?

10. BigBlock73

New drive shaft no change to vibration.

Fly wheel is new and 396 takes neutral balance. Looking for a shop that can resurface and check balance.

Bell housing is a new reproduction 621 I purchased from Auto Gear many years ago when they first came out. Did not dial it in. Dialing it in is on the "to do" list.

Will be slowly working on it over the winter as time permits.

Thanks for all the help.