Manual Swap

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Bryce Maese, May 4, 2021.

1. Bryce Maese

Bryce Maese New Member

Hey guys, I have a 1975 camaro lt with a 350ci and th350 transmission. It’s an automatic factory but I want to manual swap it. I was just wondering if someone has done this conversion and has any tips. I know that there’s clutch kits out there, I know that the dog house would have to be cut backwards to fit a manual shifter, and in theory same thing with the center counsel. But my main question is what would be the easiest manual swap other than the original 4 speed. I’m thinking ideally a 5 or 6 speed. I’m making 350-400hp so that’s to keep in mind. Thanks

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

A Super T-10 / Muncie 4 speed id the easiest swap to make .Since these cars came from the factory with And a Richmond 5 or 6 speed And other such trans depending on the kits availible.

3. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

better price it all up...its expensive...find a donor car.

4. DBinSD

DBinSD New Member Gold Member

Just finished my 71 conversion to a JTM23Z (Jody’s Transmissions) 4-spd (basically a new M22 Hybrid with 2.99 first gear)
    525HP w/ 3.42 rear end to make interstate driving ok.
    Do your research for proper fit of parts.
    I’m having some fine tune issues on clutch linkage to get proper disengagement.
    Take your time, ask questions.

Attached Files:

5. turbobuick

turbobuick Veteran Member

I put a LT-1 T56 in my BB 73 which was factory auto. Straightforward swap. Everything was off the shelf. Only thing custom was driveshaft.

6. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I put a TKO 600 in place of a TH350 in my 76. You will need a new console, hole for the shifter, clutch, flywheel, bellhousing, clutch pedals and linkage, transmission, new yoke appropriate for the transmission, crossmember, driveshaft modifications, and figure out the neutral safety switch and reverse lights.

You might be able to make the auto console depending on how creative you are.

7. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Just throwing this out there. The 700r4 is a good upgrade too, gives fourth gear and a nice.