Manufactured homes

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Jan 7, 2019.

1. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Termites!

2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Crane Lakes? That's the other side of 95 right? I tell you, the house prices around here are out of this world right now. Crazy crazy crazy. The old lady across the street from me is selling her 2b/2b little place. It's got a few upgrades but for the most part its circa-1986 styling inside. Wallpaper included. They want $199k for it. That's nuts. I bought my place 4 years ago with an extra 500 sq feet and a LOT more yard, and I got it for $143k. I feel like the Port Orange area is in a bubble, and I'm not the only one that feels that way. If I was in the market today I'd end up in a van down by the river. I think that's all I could afford!

carr911 likes this.
  3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

When my mother was looking for something we looked at a bunch of options. Very few used full 2x4 wall studs and the quality of hardware is cheap china crap. Pull some drawers out to see how they are built. Shocking how piss poor some are. Good luck.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I've seen that in new stick built homes too.

Modular or stick built, I'm sure they have to meet Florida building codes, which I think are pretty stringent due to hurricanes.

Except the cheap cabinets lol

6. MIDNIGHTBLUE

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

Stick built on site homes can have HUGE varying quality issues. Ive seen track homes with walls that werent plumb and wiring that was Frankensteined like in my house.

Went to a Modular/Manufactured Home site and the place was phenomenal, station assembly line with triple check quality control. Station one was plan of house and a giant jig.

I am planning on getting a Manufactured home when I move to Arizona in a few months. They are less expensive but the quality seems pretty darn good. Keep in mind too, a Modular home requires the internal strength to be transported to a site on a semi truck bed.

351maverick likes this.
  7. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Because of circumstances, I had to have our house appraised about 3 months ago. I couldn't believe the increase in value from when we had it built in 2013. Shocking. Crane Lakes is on Taylor Road about a mile from Spruce Creek.

8. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

If I am to buy a manufactured home, it would be located in upstate NY, near Saratoga. I'd want one at least 1750 sq. ft. with an attached 2 stall garage.

9. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

THIS

my modular house is a "half & half", front & back, total footprint is 28x52

it's impossible to tell it's not stick built on site unless you look in the attic, at the floor trusses or notice my doubled up 2x12 center wall...2x6 walls, all drywall, conventional roof pitch, just a great quality house...and all the angles are perfect

the roof & floor trusses are not dimensional lumber rather a wood lattice web

each half is 14x52...the crane (biggest in Erie) picked up a half using a single chain on all 4 corners.....no support in the center whatsoever....the place is built SO rigid that it didn't bow AT ALL in the center...perfectly flat..the built strength is amazing

10. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

20170629_084518.jpg

budro6968 likes this.