Master Cylinder lines

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by firefighter_11, Apr 6, 2021.

1. firefighter_11

firefighter_11 Member

Good Day,

So I recently learned that my engine was only leaving me with about 8” of vacuum at idle, that led me to decide to go with manual brakes.

I ended up ordering a master cylinder and prop valve from Tobin at Kore, who has been great.

I guess I’m a bit intimidated by the fact of all the different fittings and line sizes. I have 1/4” to a 9/16-18 tube nut for the rear on the fender well. The two front lines coming off the calipers, one has broken and one is definitely not going to bend enough to fit underneath the prop valve to make it fit.
    My question is, is it possible to run braided flex hose off the prop valve to the calipers and the rear line on the firewall? I have read it’s not advisable but it sure seems like a pain to buy new tube and tube nut fittings and bend and flare.
    Sorry for the long winded post but I had to take a break when I snapped a brake line in half lol.

2. firefighter_11

firefighter_11 Member

If any one has a tubing bender and a flaring kit they’ve had good luck with I’ll happily take recommendations at this point. I called techna-fit for custom lines they are quite a lead time on orders right now.

3. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

I bought the Eastwood flaring tool. Does standard inverted flare and metric bubble flares. Not cheap but works great. Before I had that tool I would bend up the line as needed and then take the line down to a local repair shop and they flared them for me. Cost about $10. I use the Ni-Copp brake line. It flares like butter.

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Agreed. Do yourself a favor and definitely use the nickle-copper line as 79Z mentioned. If you are careful and a bit creative using different shaped items in your shop as dies to make your bends, I bet you can do the whole job without a bender.

75Maro likes this.
  5. firefighter_11

firefighter_11 Member

Thanks guys. Definitely going NiCop line. Just seems to make the most sense.
    I’m torn on trying the TGR brand of flaring tool on Amazon. It looks just like the Eastwood, albeit a lower price. I know Eastwood is top quality, I just don’t know if I need 300$ in a flaring tool for a one time thing.

6. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

An Eastwood or the equivalent Syke Pickavant flaring tool is on my wishlist, but in the past I’ve bent the tubes myself, labelled the ends with the relevant fitting size/type and taken them to the local brake or hydraulics shop. $20-50 labour plus price of the fittings usually does it and perfect flares with no time lost chasing parts or cobbling together adapters

75Maro likes this.
  7. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

I have always used the Chinese flare tools from the auto parts stores and hate them every time I buy one. It takes a few times to get it right and you can guarantee you will throw it away after your done. What’s the definition of insanity.......

Scott51 likes this.
  8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Here's what I've using for all my brake line flaring & bending needs, buy it once and that's it. Never failed me, and it's one place you do not cut corners with suspect quality tools making flares!!!

The Robinair bender is made in the USA, part #14528 and works great.

IMG_0752.jpg IMG_0753.jpg

9. firefighter_11

firefighter_11 Member

Thanks! I may try the bender, I went with a flaring tool by a company called cal-van tools. Cal-Van Tools 165 Master Inline Flaring Kit - Double and Single Flares, Brake Flaring Tools. Professional Tool Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOTBVJ...abc_0816BG4QDG9HA2AYHN5A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

10. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

I have thrown away a couple parts store flaring tools. I bought them when I lost my Imperial Eastman set. Luckily I found the Imperial. It is 40 years old and 100 times better than the parts store ones. For a one time use I might put up with the aggravation of a cheap set slipping and making lousy flares until I got it right. Ni copp lines are so fun to work with. It bends so easy it is very easy to make the lines look nice and neat without a bender.