Maybe I'm out of touch

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Chiefs75, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Chiefs75

Chiefs75 Veteran Member

I was looking around at a couple of local 4th gen F Bodies, an 02 Camaro (V6) but only has 14K miles, very clean car. KBB and NADA both put the value at around 8-9K or so. I stopped in and checked it out, asked the guy what they were asking, he said 12K. I thought that was a little high.

On the way home, I saw an 02 Firebird TA, V8, clean inside and out. 33K miles, got home checked the blue book, 12-14K. I called and asked their bottom line, 18K, owners car and wont budge.

I understand the need for profit etc but both those cars seem a little overpriced. Am I way off base or just being unreasonable, didnt expect them to give them away but thought they would be a little more reasonable. Your thoughts?

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

People talk about KBB and NADA like they are the law when pricing cars. The reality is the market sets the price. If they sell all day long for $18K then that's the price. If they sit on the lots or in the garage and don't generate sales or interest the price drops. That's just how it works.

3. msgZ28

msgZ28 Veteran Member

They're probably starting the price high so that they still make a profit after you talk them down some. If you want one, stop by with money in hand and see just how much they want that car gone. Too bad you're so far away, I'm selling my 2000, or parting it out, depending on what kind of prices I'm offered.

4. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^This.

If you do some looking around on craigslist, auto trader, ect.. you will get a pretty good idea of what the car you are looking at is worth in the real world.

Not even the insurance adjusters look at Kbb. I had my truck totaled by a hail storm last year and they gave me average market value (within 100 miles of me) for my truck. They paid $2400 more than Kbb value.

Actually 18K for a 33k mile t/a may be a tad bit high, but I dont know what they are selling for in your area. A similar car with similar mileage in immaculate condition and unmodified in my area sells for around 16k. The 100K mile Ls1 ws6's are going for $9-$10000 around here. Base model t/a's are selling in the 8's for 100k mile cars.

Good luck

5. Chiefs75

Chiefs75 Veteran Member

Well thats what Im kind of waititng to see is how long they are on the market, I know the camaro has been there for over two weeks, not sure on the TA. Im thinking of downsizing from my SUV and thought about looking at the 4th gen F body for a DD. Just thought what they were asking was a bit high. Its a military town and the econmys pretty stable here maybe thats why they are asking what they are.

6. msgZ28

msgZ28 Veteran Member

Well there's your problem! Buncha young morons with enlistment/reenlistment bonuses and not enough brains. Used cars like that will always go for more than what they are worth in an environment like that. If you want one, you need to look farther away.

7. zzzzz28

zzzzz28 Veteran Member

Interesting.... I just had someone ask me if I was interested in selling my WS6 Trans Am, and he was indicating that the price on the 4th gens with low mileage was holding up in value...... 15 - 20k. So I would agree that market value is probably a closer indicator that KBB at this time.
    He was asking to buy mine, but I really haven't given any thought of selling at this time.

8. br80z

br80z Veteran Member

In my area a fourth gen with less than 50K miles is a rare find, so those prices sound average to me. I just found a 2002 35th aniversity SS convertible with 19 miles for $35,900. Wonder how much of trade in they would give me on my 98 Camaro 3.8 with 224,000 miles.

9. 7T8 LT

7T8 LT Veteran Member

I am trying to get $14,500 for a 6,701 mile 95 Z28 six speed car every option except for traction control and CD player. Never even seen a cloudy day.

10. rwild1967

rwild1967 Veteran Member

Low mile ones are impossible to find here, but 100K+ 4th gens (v-8 cars) in good shape are bringing $6-7K. Or at least asking for it.