Maybe I'm out of touch

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Chiefs75, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Agreed.
    Unfortunately KBB and NADA don't take into consideration the market for the car. Trans Am's are no longer produced and pull a premium in good condition around here. They're not depreciating as much as the Camaro's from what I've seen. 35th Anniversary Camaro's are special edition's and pull a premium too.

Sure some dealers gouge, but that's why you shop around.

2. Chiefs75

Chiefs75 Veteran Member

I guess that all makes sense, I was running some errands yesterday, and started thinking of getting rid of the Trailblazer now that my older son is graduating, dont need a big family wagon anymore and saw those and was curious on the cost. Guess I just had sticker shock.

It was kind of funny, I stopped at one of the lots right off of post, the kind that markets to the E-1 and up no down payment, tax refund check etc. Never been to one, only seen the stuff from the road. They had a 02 Pontiac Grand Prix, I thought maybe it was something my son could drive for college. Talked to the dealer, got the keys, hopped in, key wouldnt even work in the ingition, it litterally took about 2 minutes to get it to finally turn, then when I crank it over, the thing wouldnt even start, just kept cranking and cranking. I got out, went to the office, the guy asked "back from your test drive already", said yes, handed him the keys and walked out. Im not a buisnessman by anymeans, Ive lost a money on my old cars that Ive bought worked on and sold but I would think that if your selling a car on a car lot it should at least start. It was kind of worth the laugh I got out of the deal.

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

One word....

Springtime!

This is when these type of cars are at a premium. Best time to buy is in the fall when people are trying to figure out where to store them - or in winter when the cars are taking up a garage stall and not moving.

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Ever since I drove my buddies 2000 SS I have wanted a 4th gen. Last fall some guy traded in a '94 Z stick car with 190K on it, Not the best but it was rust free. When it came up for the on line auction someone told me about it.
    I got the car for $1500. Could not pass it up. I sure do like a stick again.
    There have been some good deals up here in MN. as nobody has no money.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Good luck with that, you're going to have work to find someone who wants to pay a huge premium for ultra low miles. For that $$ I can get a late run SS with reasonable miles. 4th gen prices have been dropping for a while now, especially an lt1 car. 4th gens are old used cars now and are priced as such. A clean LT1 car with reasonable miles is not worth even $10k these days.

6. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Everyone is in denial still. Guys come in and say oh your house is worth 50 gabillion dollars... oh the tile work is impressive etc... THen when you go to list it well your tile work is nice but it's not xyz tile and I'll have to replace that in 3 years, the roof leaks etc... Unless that person that told you it's worth a gabillion dollars don't believe the hype.

Same with cars, you might have a nice car but if no one is willing to pay $50k for it it's a $50k car in your dreams.
    The rules of supply and demand are gone in America have been for awhile.