Mechanical fuel pump with return

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by CamaroMan79, Dec 21, 2016.

1. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does anyone make a mechanical performance fuel pump with a return line provision?

Got my 383 into my 84' C10 but I need a return style pump. My engine is just south of 500 so I'm thinking either an 80goh or a 110gph would be plenty.

And no I don't want to just cap my return line.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. phbmd

phbmd Veteran Member

I run the Carter M6101 in my '79. Summit and the Carter site have this pump rated at 40GPH. Jegs has it at 120 GPH. Go figure

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Why not run a Carter "Strip" mech fuel pump which does require a pressure regulator . you then use a return style press regulator

5. CamaroMan79

Going by a gph calculator I need at least a 46psi pump. I don't want to starve the engine

6. CamaroMan79

I'm just trying to keep the cost down. I cant run the strip pump because it's only adjustable down to 7psi it says. I've had a 6psi Holley pump on this engine without a regulator, when I had it in the Camaro and the pressure stayed at 5.5 at the carb. I might just have to run a return regulator off the one I have now. I'm just wondering how much it would restrict the flow to the carb? I tried one of the cheaper dial adjustment regulators on this engine and it cut the pressure down to 4.5psi at the carb with the dual maxed out at 5.5 or 6 (can't remember I think it went to 6). Maybe a Holley 12-841 would be less restrictive

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  7. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 383 in my camaro, with an edlebrock pump, running at 5.5psi. Unless you're high revving the engine all the time, you're not going to starve your engine. You're only keeping the bowls full anyhow. You could have a 3000gph pump, but you're only putting 5.5psi to it anyhow. (not trying to bash...just trying to help give perspective)

8. CorkyE

Chevy ran some healthy big blocks with a stock fuel pump. Just saying.

9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Or as muscl car said, use the Carter street/strip M4891, and run hard line or a -3 or -4 off the carb fuel log for the return, no regulator needed, not dead heading, fuel and pump runs cooler, pump is clockable and has 120gph. I use Carter M60969, same setup, works great, no regulator.

10. CorkyE

With this setup, don't you need a regulator at the end of the fuel log? Otherwise, fuel will just pass through straight back to return.