Mecum Kissimmee 80-81s of interest

Clasic Z

Feb 4, 2012
Ontario Canada
sovain said:
i have owned two 81Z`s both came with black grills,now i was not the original owner of either car but the second owner of both.
what are the odds of both original cars owners changing the grill?
Clasic Z do you plan on driving your new toy,seeing that you`re from Ontario what will you do for a front plate(bumper mount or window)
The car is at my Florida house right now, I bring it to Ontario in the spring and drive it sometimes. I will mount the front plate on the bumper, I don't worry about holes, the car will never be sold again

Clasic Z

Feb 4, 2012
Ontario Canada
Damon23 said:
The red car is very flashy and well taken care of. My favorite is the blue one. My car has black grilles in it now but it is not correct. They look good either way.
I agree the blue one was very nice, I decided that if I bought one it has to be as flashy as can be. I bought a new Z28 back in 81, wish I never sold it. Bought back a piece of my history and will keep it this time

nasstzz

Veteran Member
Nov 14, 2010
waterboro maine
cws455 said:
Only if it's a black car. 1980 and 1981 Z28's all came from the factory with body colored grills. Do some better research. This is very common knowledge, not a secret or mystery. 1980 Z28's were the first Z28's to have a specific grill, that no other camaro model could come with, and it was the first to be body colored as well.
NOT ALL 80z's came from the factory with colored grills!!!I have done lots of research thats how I know..my 80z is charcole exterior with carimine interior with the origional BLACK grill...

Damon23

Veteran Member
Jan 29, 2006
Georgia
One thing that crossed my mind was how many of our cars have replacement grilles in them that never went back body color. I'm thinking that is what happend in my case and I be a bunch others.

cws455

Veteran Member
Sep 19, 2009
La Porte, IN
nasstzz said:
NOT ALL 80z's came from the factory with colored grills!!!I have done lots of research thats how I know..my 80z is charcoal exterior with carimine interior with the origional BLACK grill...
Really? Whats your proof? Word of mouth? Show some documentation and then it's legit, until then, you have nothing more than an incorrect color on your grill. Is it possible that some came black? Maybe, but with no proof than you go back to all the factory literature on these cars and that clearly states in english that the grills are body color.

nasstzz

Veteran Member
Nov 14, 2010
waterboro maine
cws455 said:
Really? Whats your proof? Word of mouth? Show some documentation and then it's legit, until then, you have nothing more than an incorrect color on your grill. Is it possible that some came black? Maybe, but with no proof than you go back to all the factory literature on these cars and that clearly states in english that the grills are body color.
my proof is not word of mouth ,I have the complete assembly manual from GM for the 1980 camaro's, if you have a z28 with a painted grill it was an option,it is not standard,it is no different than getting a z28 with a/c that to was an option not standard these cars came in different options an the grill is one of them,a BLACK grill was standard for 1980 z28,PAINTED grill was EXTRA... again not all 80z's had painted grills.

Last edited:

cws455

Veteran Member
Sep 19, 2009
La Porte, IN
nasstzz said:
my proof is not word of mouth ,I have the complete assembly manual from GM for the 1980 camaro's, if you have a z28 with a painted grill it was an option,it is not standard,it is no different than getting a z28 with a/c that to was an option not standard these cars came in different options an the grill is one of them,a BLACK grill was standard for 1980 z28,PAINTED grill was EXTRA... again not all 80z's had painted grills.

Again you don't know what your talking about, BOTTOM LINE! It WAS NOT AN OPTION, it was STANDARD on ALL 1980 Z28 MODELS. Just like the air induction hood, revised fender vents, front and rear wheel spoilers and 3 stripe Z28 striping were all STANDARD on Z28's. I'm sure the 1980 sale brochures, 1980 GM press releases, etc have it all wrong. Your probably right, what RPO code would the body color grill be anyway??? If it were an option it would have an RPO code, right????. Must be really rare that it dosen't show up any where. It's ok if you like the black grill on your car, after all it's your car. It just wasn't black when it was brand new.

nasstzz

Veteran Member
Nov 14, 2010
waterboro maine
wow,don't get your panties in a wad.If you google 1980z28 and look at 90%of the really nice cars with a black grills you would realize my point. If all 80z's had colored grills from factory I'm sure they would all be colored,since we all want our cars as correct as possible.So if I don't know anything neither does the rest of us who have a black grill,I have been passionate with camaro's for 30years ,I do know what I am taiking about..

cws455

Veteran Member
Sep 19, 2009
La Porte, IN
nasstzz said:
wow,don't get your panties in a wad.If you google 1980z28 and look at 90%of the really nice cars with a black grills you would realize my point. If all 80z's had colored grills from factory I'm sure they would all be colored,since we all want our cars as correct as possible.So if I don't know anything neither does the rest of us who have a black grill,I have been passionate with camaro's for 30years ,I do know what I am taiking about..
Wow, Google??? Your using google searches for your facts?? So let me get this straight, 32 years ago General Motors got it wrong, and in fact you and Google got it right.....32 years later?? Pictures of repainted, 32 yr old cars with replaced reproduction grills and this is fact?? I guess headers, traction bars, painted flames, chrome air cleaners, etc are also factory options because google search shows some with these items on 1980 Z28's too?? This is amusing. Also I don't hear everyone else stating there black grilles are original, just you. Just because someone likes a certain look dosen't mean it's original, just the owners preference and thats cool, but to so boldy state something that is not even close to being correct on a site that a lot of people use for restoration info is silly. I'm sure your wearing out google search looking for something to help your case, but it's not out there...............It dosen't exist.