Mickey Thompson Tires

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by joer, Apr 1, 2011.

1. SHANE 73Z

SHANE 73Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just ordered a set last week.

They are 26x10 on a 15x8-4.75" backspace in the front and 26x12 on a 15x10-5.5" backspace in the rear. I hope to get them installed in a month or so.

One thing I like about MT is that they definately look at the long term for their tires, so they should be available for a long time. Im glad a company had the brass to develop a new 15" performance tire.

Shane

2. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds great Shane. Anyone know if you need to run a tube on Mickey Thompson 3756R - Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial Drag Tires
    Thety do not say tubbeless but I was wondering if you can run them still without a tube?

3. Tokyo Torquer3

Tokyo Torquer3 Veteran Member

Shane; if you are going with a 15" tire, I assume you are not going for autocross/ pro-touring. Therefore, I think a 12X28-15 MT will look much better on your car. It fills the wheel well much better and gives a more muscular look. It is what I was running, Also, I think the 5.5" backspace may be too much. Mine fit perfectly with a 5" backspace and cnt imaginehow you would use more than 5.25" w/o a spacer.

Also on that 26X10-15 tire, that is equivalant to a 255/55-15 tire. Hope it doesnt rub on full turn lock. I was thinking no more than a 4.5" backspace for that wheel size.

I love these MT tires, but wish they would make a slightly bigger size than the 28X12-15. The next biggest size is a 29X15-15. I really would like a 28X13.0-15.. or a 28X12.5-15 even.

I have more wheel well to fill up so I went to a 325/50-15 MT ET Street radial.

A 26X9.0-15 size would also be nice as that would be equivalent to a 235/60-15 tire.

FatnLow; you do not neeed a tube for the MT ET Street radials.

mike

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. FatnLow

Thanks Mike. If I do not get the ET's I was going with the 26x10 SR on the rear. I need to get under there and do some measuring of what I have now. Kent

5. SHANE 73Z

SHANE 73Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mike,

Good to hear from ya. With the options I had for backspacing, I felt a little too much was better than not enough. I am still going with the handling type setup, hence the tire sizes along with my ride height. I am this close to pulling the trigger on some lower control arms, that will allow me to dial out some steering if need be. I am also preparing to build a custom brake package that will fit the 15s and may not necessitate a spacer in the front. I have also even considered a splined front sway bar for clearance.

I knew the 16s were gonna have to go. I struggled with the decision to go back to the 15s or jump to 17s. Surprisingly the folks that sold me on the SRs, were a bunch of Cobra replica guys. They have been very very pleased with these tires even up against some track day action.

Take care,
    Shane

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  6. Tokyo Torquer3

Kent.. the 12.0" wide tire will fit nice in the stock wheel well with the right back spacing. I still have some room left over with my 28X12-15's. The perfect BS for my car is 5". If you are not racing, I would go with the SR's and it is a better looking tire to boot... also safer in the rain, less wear, traction better than average street radial, but wont pick up rocks as much as a racing compound and mark up your lower quarter panel.

mike

7. 77Z28BLACK

77Z28BLACK Veteran Member

What's a better one to go for non track, SR or ET street ? Really like the way these tuck inside the wells, I thought my BF's 275's on 15 SS Cragers looked muscle, that is one mean set up !

8. Tokyo Torquer3

Hi Shane;

How is your Keisler TKO kit holding up? Mine is still living behind some serious horsepower but weeps at the input shaft.:confused:

If you want handling, I would think you would want to go to 17's or 18's. They do sell the SR's in 18" and have a 28 and 26X12-18 size that would fit easily. I was thinking of 17's someday when I get tried of the big blower/ pro-street look and a tire that gets great reviews is the M&H drag radials.. they tend to run narrow for their size and one that would fit perfectly in our stock wheel wells is their 325/50-17 tire.

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=70&rn=305&action=show_detail
    DOT Certified
    Comparable Race Size 11.5/28.0R17
    Tread Width: 11.3"
    Section Width: 12.6"
    Diameter: 28.0"
    Circumference: 88.0"
    Rim Size: 11.0"

They also have this tire in an 18" size;
    http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=70&rn=379&action=show_detail

Do you have any updated pics for your car?

mike

9. Tokyo Torquer3

SR for the street.

10. FatnLow

Tokyo Mike do you have any recent pics of your car? Your car domain link doesn't work. Is that a current pic on your profile? Thanks.