Microwave problems....

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Mar 28, 2021.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

I’m sure it’s probably a goner but who knows. Maybe there’s something that can be done?
    Have an LG (junk that was in the house when we bought it) microwave mounted above the stove. Recently it has started acting to certain foods like there is a piece of tinfoil in there. Canned green beans, just to warm up a serving looked like the 4th of July. I deep sixed that can thinking there must have been some metallic contaminant. Next Half a can was fine. Then it did it again...obviously it’s not contaminated. Now it’s burning the outer edges of Food but the middle is stone cold. Placement inside doesn’t make a difference.
    Thought I’d throw this one up in the air before I go drop a few hundo on a new nuking device. Any thoughts?

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Chuck it! I hate tossing anything, but a microwave is one of the few things I wont mess with. Once they start doing that, they are done, and in all my googly research, I cant find an obvious something to replace to make them work again. The only brand I've had good reliability with is Panasonic.

Zstar likes this.
  3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Seems a shame to get another dish dirty but you need to dump the beans out of the can. ;)

I have to assume you're using the same cookware you've been using in the past.

It could be a few different causes.
    Sounds like the "stirrer" in yours isn't stirring any more.
    Possibly a broken belt.
    (Who knew there was a belt in them?)

https://howtofixit.net/5-reasons-why-microwave-is-sparking-inside/

4. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Yes same cookware we’ve had for years. The plate is turning I guess I’d assume the belt is working? Lol that stirrer I just pulled out before I looked back here....spins freely and easily by hand.

funny the wife was going through all the brands listed on Lowe’s etc asking me what I thought we should get....I said well we had Panasonic when I was a kid they seemed to run forever lol.

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

Is there anything you dont know? :)
    And ya, I never put anything metal in them. Especially cans with the BPA lining in them.

wiseryder likes this.
  6. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Ours took a dump around christmas.was only 2 years old Kitchen aid POS,You'll open a pandoras box with a new one-"lets get the matching stove/fridge/dishwasher"-UGRHHH.Wifey likes dark stainless and it seemed every maufacturers tints/colors for it were different,so if you are leaning that way make sure the other appliances they make have features/layout you like.Our fridge is from 1992 and I almost fell over when I saw how much a "new" fridge top/freezer down was.I told wifey don't let a $400 purchase dictate the rest of the appliances if /when we replace them.Got a Whirlpool at 'nards $400 been happy with it-Later Steve!!

7. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

That’s exactly the way i feel. I won’t buy anything lg or Samsung. Especially not a 4K freakin refrigerator! Who the heck needs cameras and a screen on the door?

Anyway, after seeing that the belt in question is not involved with the turntable, I pull the scatterer and it spins freely by fingertip. I see it must turn by air movement and the fan must be belt driven. I’m thinking that it’s something electrical as now that I’m actually watching it close the light flickers too.

tom3 likes this.
  8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

First off, never microwave anything that is metal. It’ll ruin the microwave. That’s was your first mistake. Now it’s a boat anchor with cancer waves emitting into the air around you and inside you.

9. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

lol no nothing metal was ever put into the microwave. When I say a “can” of whatever it’s not literally a can put in there. The contents of the can are nuked on a microwave safe dish. In this case the portion of green beans lit up like the 4th of July which I initially suspected as being contaminated. But that is not the case.

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it sparks from heating food then junk it. It’s too dangerous to use.

Zstar likes this.