Might be good - new fenders

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Chuck71RS, Sep 25, 2017.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

They look really good! Can you post closer pics of the alignment of the fenders to the header panel and the lower valance? Or any more you may have?

2. badazz81z28

This is what my old crappy repro fender fits like. My OE on the pass side lines up perfect. 1697089C-D8DC-4097-92CE-0FE33A5EF21E.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

I went back and edited my earlier post - realized I was talking about the rear door gaps for some reason. So ignore what I said about the front needing work. I will take some more pics of the finished product and post them. It will be a while before I put the front valance on, tho. And my hood is no longer latched - it had to come out to mount the AC condenser.

Here's a pic of the front door gap when I visited the shop in early January. I think the bodyman was able to get the fender/door plane close without resorting to too much bondo - probably just shimmed and worked it better than I had. But I told them the gap had to get better. You can see it's tight at the top and then inconsistent from there down. Some of that is the door, which is also re-pop. The finished product is substantially tighter.

[​IMG]

4. badazz81z28

Did you shave the side marker off the fenders?

5. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Yes, did that myself before sending to body shop. They came stamped correct. Also, they were nice and smooth at the bends around the bottom of the headlight opening, not like the OE ones that came on the car. Both sides were stamped like that, and not caused by accident damage.

[​IMG]

6. badazz81z28

^^ What am I looking at here?

tom3 likes this.
  7. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

My original, OE fender, from pretty much head-on - just under the opening for the headlight. Both sides were like this - albeit covered by my 74 headlight buckets. The re-pop was perfect here.

8. badazz81z28

Oh I see, yeah looks a little damaged

9. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

That's how it was stamped. Both sides were like that. That OEM is better is really a myth, especially after all this time.

As a reminder, my fenders were purchased via Classic Industries - OER Restorer's Choice. No one has ever definitively confirmed that the AMD ones are the same, but it seems to me they have to be.

10. badazz81z28

I would be confident to say they are AMD, no one else has the crash marks. Do you have a front picture where that curve on the fender meets the header panel?