Mike's 1973 Camaro Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by CHEVY350SS, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mike76Rally

Mike76Rally Veteran Member

Magazine pics...Check! Looks amazing, great work.

2. Jim Stokkeland

Jim Stokkeland Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Absolutely beautiful. I know how much time and money I have into mine, and it's not even half as nice as yours...very nice work!

3. 1BAD78

1BAD78 Veteran Member Gold Member

WOW!! Is all I can say! You can tell that was built with a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and a lot of love was put into that build. Great job man!

4. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thats a wicked ride! Just went through the build!

5. xnightflyerx

xnightflyerx Member

Amazing! =)

6. CHEVY350SS

CHEVY350SS Veteran Member

thank you to all you guys! the turn signals up front are off the shelf driving lights from Pep Boys..lol..the halo is my driving light and the main light is my turn signal which I replaced with a amber bulb..I can change the halo from red green blue yellow what ever I like and they fit in the turn signal bucket with a little work . I also bought four led round trailer lights and mounted them in my light buckets after I cut lexan round pieces and tinted them. Pretty easy and cheap! My color is viper red also.

Just for info here is a list of what has been done in four years:

Exterior:
    New fenders, door skins, both inner and outer quarter panels, rear body panel, roof, trunk floor, trunk lid, spoiler, core support, headlight mounts. There is absolutely no rust or contamination of any kind.
    Paint is PPG aqua base two stage Viper red with six coats of clear coat and wet sanded to show standards with black SS stripes.

Rally sport front end installed with a 5" fiberglass cowl hood. The body is laser straight and all gaps are perfect all the way around.
    All new outer trim, bumpers, handles, locks, rear led tail lights, front halo turn signal lights, billet hood hinges, billet door vents.
    Chrome 18" x10 rear and 18" x 8 front* Boss 338 wheels with brand new tires.
    Custom side view mirrors

Suspension:
    Subframe sand blasted and painted 2009 Chevy gun metal grey with base coat clear coat. Hotchkis handle bars from cowl to subframe and welded in subframe connectors.
    All tie rods inner and outer are new with poly bushings, Hotchkis front heavy duty sway bar, upper tubular control arms, stock lower control arms with new bushings, new wheel bearings, Wilwood dual piston front calipers with new pads and braided brake lines, slotted front rotors.
    Ridetech front shockwave adjustable air ride shocks with gauges inside interior. Copper hard airlines to interior.
    Rear re-arched 5 leaf springs with poly bushings and Gabriel rear shocks. No rear sway bar at this time since the left mount broke. One gallon air tank in trunk with one Vair air compressor.

Drivetrain:
    10 bolt posi rear end with S-10 rear disc brake set up with 3.73 gears fully rebuilt. No emergency brake has been installed.
    CCP quick ratio steering gear box with new chrome power steering pump.
    200 miles on rebuilt 350 Chevy four bolt main bored 15 over to make it a 355 with all Keith Black pistons, refurbished rods and crank, Crane 480 lift 270 duration cam. Lopes nicely but very streetable.
    Procomp aluminum heads with stock heavy duty lifters. Edelbrock aluminum manifold, Edelbrock 750cfm carb. Mid shot headers with full Flowmaster dual exhaust with H pipe.
    Custom balanced and lengthened driveline with all new u-joints.
    New motor mounts, hoses, belts, etc.
    2000 Camaro T56 six speed transmission with Wilwood master cylinder, poly mount, new Mcleod street strip clutch and Mcleod adjustable hydraulic throwout bearing.

Aluminum 1" two core heavy duty radiator.
    New stainless fuel tank, straps, Edelbrock electric fuel pump. Stainless fuel lines. All new billet pulleys. Flex fan and pusher electric Zirgo 16" fan.
    All new painless wiring harness with MSD electronic distributor and MSD programmable ignition box that you can connect a laptop too to adjust spark.

Interior:
    All new carpet, redone door panels, window seals, headliner, package tray, custom fiberglass kick panels wrapped in vinyl with JL audio seperates.
    2006 GTO black leather power seats with new insert that has Camaro sewn in red.
    Back seats redone to match. New door locks, billet window cranks. Complete Autometer white electronic gauges.
    Custom wrapped fiberglass center console with B&M shifter. Billet rearview mirror. Rebuilt tilt column with Billet steering wheel. New shift, gas, brake pedals.

Luxury:
    Brand new polished aluminum air conditioning compressor with complete electronic Vintage air setup.
    JL audio 300/4 amp with custom kick panels and JL audio separates, JL audio rear 6" woofer, JL audio 6x9. And JL audio 3" dash speakers. Touch screen DVD stereo.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  7. zhedding

zhedding Veteran Member

Car looks amazing i just read through your entire thread maybe i missed the post but why did you take off supercharger?

8. CHEVY350SS

CHEVY350SS Veteran Member

The original engine wasn't built for a supercharger and I blew a head gasket because it kept running hot. I didn't have the money to build it up so I sold the supercharger and that paid for the new engine. That part of the build was a black hole but it worked out finally..lol

9. zhedding

zhedding Veteran Member

aw that sucks about the engine glad you got it worked out man car is amazing :)

10. zeventy128

zeventy128 Member

Wow! awesome build mate. Just curious about the nose on your car, is it urethane or fibreglass? And how did you prep it for paint? Mine is urethane, poor fit and I live in the tropics of Australia where it's consistently around 35⁰C so am looking for tips/alternatives.