Millivolt draw 72 z28

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by enjoy13760, May 23, 2020.

1. enjoy13760

enjoy13760 Veteran Member

5A3DFE8F-72A8-41E3-B418-A9B35B1D6F39.jpeg 9B1DD000-024F-4D32-82B5-1CB52E3533A8.jpeg Battery keeps dying every 3 to 5 days no amp draw did a Milli volt draw andShowed draw. Pulled every fuse with no change and then unhooked my alternator wire from the alternator it’s a brand new alternator and the volts dropped significantly. Any known fixes to this or should I just get a quick disconnect from the battery. 5A3DFE8F-72A8-41E3-B418-A9B35B1D6F39.jpeg

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Where and how are you measuring this voltage? Voltage readings don't tell you current draw. You need to measure amperage in series with the circuit.

3. enjoy13760

I was just using the meter like how you test amp draw from the battery. Remove neg post etc. I have zero amp draw. meter reads zero open a door then it reads draw. So I decided to test volts since it takes days to drain the battery.

4. Gary S

To measure amp draw you need the meter in amp position, not volt position like the pictures show.

5. enjoy13760

Yes I did and have no amp draw. The problem is I have a small draw from someplace and it’s a volt draw. Battery dies every 3 to5 days.

6. Gary S

When you measured amp draw, did you move the red lead up into the top hole in the meter for amps?

7. enjoy13760

Yes. So the question is the draw seems to come from my alternator. When I un plug my alternator the volt draw drops to almost zero. It’s a new alternator so I’m not sure what is causing the draw from the alternator any ideas?

8. Gary S

With electricity, voltage is not a "draw". It is a potential between two points. If you put your voltmeter directly across your battery you see the battery voltage if the meter is in volts position. That doesn't mean there is a draw. It just means that the battery has voltage. Nothing wrong with that. A volt meter needs to do its measurements in parallel to the circuit. An ammeter measures current draw, but has to be in series with the circuit to get that reading.
    Putting a voltmeter in series with the cable won't give you any useful reading and can easily blow out the meter.

9. enjoy13760

Thanks. So my problem then is I still have something drawing my battery. Every 5 days or so it’s dead. It’s my third battery in 5 years. I don’t drive the car much but it still shouldn’t do this . I did test my amp draw and it shows zero on the meter, I open a door or turn on lights and it then shows amp draw. So I’m just dumb founded at this draw. There’s nothing internally that is extra in the car the stereo is even unhooked so I don’t know. Thinking of getting just a quick disconnect and being done with it.

10. Gary S

It doesn't make sense that if you don't read any current draw on the meter that the battery still drains down. When the battery is draining, the power has to be going through the cable, and that should be measureable with the meter.

Older cars like that shouldn't drain a battery because they don't have any electronics to drain the battery down. My '70 can sit for months and the battery is still at full
    l power. In later years when the switch to internally regulated alternators was made, there was a tiny battery drain due to the electronic regulator, but even then, a battery would last for months and still have good power. Each later change in cars as the years went by made the drain worse. I have an '89 Caprice with EFI, computer, and digital radio. If it sits for a month, the battery is run down. I also have an '01 Ford. If it sits about a week, the battery is down.