Mini Spool

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by f-body freak, Aug 21, 2020.

1. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

20200821_165248.jpg
    Anyone ever used one of these? I dont remember seeing these "back in the day"
    Have seen them installed on a couple.TV shows recently. Hotrod Garage I think.
    Ad says for drag race or off road use only, but is that really true? Sure alot cheaper
    than a complete posi carrier. I would "like" posi in my Staion Wagon, but I dont "need" posi in it. Definitely dont wanna stick hundreds of dollars in a rear end upgrade. Its street driven, don't see much dragstrip or off road in its future, lol. I'm not even sure they make these mini spools for that rear. It has the 8.2 BOP 10 bolt. Thanks for any input on this

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A mini spool uses the oem carrier so the carrier assembly and cross pin are the weak points that can fail or break

The best set up would be full spool as they're much stronger but being the 10 bolt uses C clips . But to use a full spool you would need C clip eliminators or modify the housing for Ford housing ends

As for driving on the street with a spool It's much like a Detroit locker

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

The BOP 10 bolt doesn't have c clips.

A mini spool is a piece of crap that is designed for cheap dirt track cars. They don't do well on the street. They are usually made of soft metal that wears and fails. It's a bad idea.

Dave Nelson and BonzoHansen like this.
  4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

if you can afford it go with a Ford 9" like mine from Quick Performance . I'm running a full spool with 35 spline axles

Resized_20200806_150943.jpg Resized_20200806_150934.jpg Resized_20200805_132722.jpg Resized_20200805_132609.jpg Resized_20200820_184928.jpg

f-body freak likes this.
  5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

This x1000

Spools and mini spools are not something that should be on a street car.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

x1000, but some that can't get down a drag strip think it's cool on the street.

7. f-body freak

I figured as much. Sounds like the modern equivalent to welding up the spider gears. Probably just leave it a peg leg... i can't be taking to much money away from my Camaro projects

8. f-body freak

20200818_161448.jpg 20200816_145545.jpg
    How bout some pics!?!?! If I wasn't able to use the extra camaro parts laying around she would never be going down the road, lol. It's a 67 Buick Sportwagon. Had it running a couple yrs ago but the Buick engine smoked like a freight train. Had a good Chevy 350 in the garage so why not? I joke now its not a Buick anymore, it's a Chuick :D Spare set of Z28 wheels prove that yes, these rims look good on anything!! Converted it to front disc brakes using mostly used parts from a Chevelle. New springs, shocks, trailing arms, brake booster, master cylinder. Chased coolant leaks for a while. New radiator, heater core, stat housing. It's been a fun project. Anytime I can use spare parts off the shelf the better. Hard to drive it somewhere without someone asking ya what it is. :rolleyes:

chuck13, xten, Dave Nelson and 3 others like this.
  9. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

That's a great looking car.

f-body freak likes this.
  10. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

that overflow bottle must be worth 50 hp......right?