Mini tub kits worth it?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by vince72, Oct 22, 2020.

1. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Just wondering if everyone that has done the mini tubs found the kits worth the money?
    ie Detroit speed kits? Im mentally prepping to tackle this after the sniper and tko install.

Vince

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

It really depends on what you are looking for. I would argue it saves you a ton of time and gives you a professional OEM look. If you look in my trunk, you would not even be able to tell my car is tubbed. Many people have cut the stock tubs out, removed back side material and re-installed the stock tub and fill the gap with sheet metal. A pro can make it look great, but timely and pricey...and likely obvious its been done.

3. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Also depends on what you're doing with the car, if it hardly ever sees the track, is the extra 10mm of tire worth the time and money spent doing this?

4. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Pretty sure you will get way more than 10mm of extra tire.

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

more like 45mm worth of no-scrub tire.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I would argue a 275 is the MAX proper fitting size for a stock tub whereas the mini tub allows a 335. This is no pounding metal, cutting fender lips, rubbing on the body or sticking out of the wheel well.

7. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

10mm was an exaggeration, my main point was taking it to the track. because if it's just street use, mini tubs aren't worth the effort as you won't really benefit from the extra tire.

[email protected] likes this.
  8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

IMHO, Mini Tubs are a huge project and cost without much payoff.
    Lots of people have fit 315's under 2nd gens in the rear, it takes a proper measurement/wheel order and a little work, potentially centering the rear end and clearancing the fenders. I don't think anyone could tell the difference between a 335 and a 315's performance on a streetcar with street tires.

Take the Mini Tub money, spend it on chassis stiffening, you'll see better results

9. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

If its for performance, save the money. There are some running insane times on 275's right now. But if its for looks, then by all means buy it and get after it. Me personally, I will be going for the look. Nothing beats the look of a giant set of tires from the rear.

10. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Thanks for the food for thought, I might reconsider or more it down the project list