Mini tub kits worth it?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by vince72, Oct 22, 2020.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I'm no serious track cruiser, but I'm glad I did the tub. The 335s in the back and the 275s in the front give the car a different meaner high performance look. I see it no different than any other "visual" modification like paint or body work.

2. $ Mike 70 Z-28

$ Mike 70 Z-28 Veteran Member

I have a 285 in the back with a 9 1/2 x 5.5 offset. i have no mods to the body. i have seen 295 with no mods

John Wright likes this.
  3. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

I have 285 in the back also 10 in rim with 5.5 back space with no mods might try 295 looks like their room. And when I run at the track their will be with a 275 tire. The only time I would Mini tub is if the car needed repair in the tub area or trying to race it. But they sure look nice.

4. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

295 M/T here on 9.5x17 with 5.75BL. Zero modifications to the body or chassis.

5. badazz81z28

Those 295s don't come in contact with the emergency brake cables? Are your cars lowered?

6. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

It's a lot of money but, it allows you to put the tire "in" the wheel well instead of "almost in" and it looks cool.
    For a straight line and street cruising it is 90% not needed. Put the money in your suspension so you can hook up. For going around corners and dropping the back end down over the tires, I would recommend it. No rubbing ever, even with leaf flex.

7. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER Member

I have been running 315 x30x18 in the rear with 18 x 11 wheel with 6" back spacing for maybe 20 years . I did not want to mini tub because I own an original 1971 z 28 ralley sport, and wanted to keep the body as original as possible, and did not want to cut up the car. I had to roll back the fender lip and also took a small hand sledge to the inside wheel well to massage a few spots that polished the inside wheel well while autoxing. It took me about 10 or 15 minutes a side. My car is lowered maybe 2" all around. During normal driving, there is no rubbing what so ever, only during autox which I do on a regular basis. That 6" backspace is for stock drum brakes only. If you run rear disks, your backspace will probably be different so all bets are off. My car is on this years nasty z28 calender , november. Also if I load up the trunk with tires and a full tank of gas, there is a slight rub on freeway dips and bumps. tolerable in my opinion. good luck , take care, and stay safe.

pointman likes this.
  8. badazz81z28

I don't understand this..."wanted to keep the body as original as possible, and did not want to cut up the car"

But...."roll back the fender lip"...."and sledge to the inside wheel well to massage a few spots" "there is a slight rub on freeway dips and bumps"

You have basically supported that this big of tire actually doesn't fit...no offense intended but, why do people keep chiming in that "this fits" when it actually doesn't?

Mr Sunshine likes this.
  9. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

I had 295/50,s on my Camaro. Did not fit without some work. You don't need them big tires for racing, there are plenty of slicks that will fit and hook up.my friend runs low 10,s on slick that fit under his 81 Camaro perfect.i,ll get the size if you want .there in my garage. He used the original 8 inch n90.on the flip side they sure look nice with the big tires on. Takes me back. Back when you would cut up the car to get them to fit.lol...I did some stupid stuff in my teens.

10. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Because rolling a fender and smacking the wheel well with a hammer is a much easier and cheaper solution then cutting up the entire rear of the car

[email protected] likes this.