Mini tub kits worth it?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by vince72, Oct 22, 2020.

1. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER Member

I wanted the car to remain stock look from the outside. I have not altered the body in any way from the outside and it looks stock. I have no Idea what it costs to mini tub. I have made many modifications to the suspension for autoxing so the car is not original from that stand point. However, since I bought the car new, I have kept and cataloged all the original parts of the car in case I wanted to restore it some day. Take care and stay safe

roadrace2 and [email protected] like this.
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Its expensive...A DSE one is anyways. 40hrs of labor...that's a few grand alone paying someone to do the work plus the cost of the kit. A DSE tub however does not require external mods to the body to include rolling the fender lips. If done right, it looks factory and takes nothing away from stock appearing. The draw back is pretty much irreversible elimination of the factory shock location and leaf spring movement. However if you are competing with the car, its a worth while modification as well as suspension upgrades. People who have the DSE quadra link most likely has the tubs too. My car has the quadra link too and never will it go back to stock. Either its modified or collector car stock...my car was to be fun.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  3. autobahn

autobahn Member

40 hours ? I must be a genius, the 1 st side took 9.5 hours the second side 3 hours , I'm thinking responses that are against it have never done it . Me 1st time for me I also added BMR torque arm rear suppension ,9,"LS2 4L65e swap

[email protected] likes this.
  4. mid77z28

mid77z28 Veteran Member

Junkyard, What is your current suspension and brake setup on your Z?

5. badazz81z28

You can't pick and choose when the time clock is counting for an accurate assessment. 40 hours is considering a complete car, not a bare shell sitting on a stand already disassembled. Removing interior, rear suspension, removing old tubs, fitting/prepping new tubs, modifying leaf spring pockets, installing upper shock mount...then putting it all back together and such....its not something you can do in a day from a driving moving car back to a driving moving car. I'm not even considering painting all the new metal. If you don't have to deal with tons of undercoating and you are only counting time of cutting the tub and installing the new one...I can see 8-9 hours for one side. However you can't JUST install Detroit Speed's tub. It eliminates the upper shock mount....

Mr Sunshine likes this.
  6. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Is there a kit that does not eliminate the shock mount?

7. badazz81z28

No, you can't widen the tub without cutting out the metal that contains the shock mount. Your alternative is to move outboard rather than inboard. Flaring the 1/4 panels which is fugly to me!

8. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

when we had one our Welders put a Mini Tub kit on a stripped car, it took him 40 Hours. Maybe he was padding his pocket!

_MG_6503.JPG

_MG_6507.JPG

9. badazz81z28

You can't rush quality lol...

10. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER Member

If you google JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER , there is a car craft article detailing all that was done to the car. If you have any further questions, I would be glad to answer them. Since the article, I have installed and tested the Heidts subframe connectors. I have also change shocks front and rear. That did not work out for me. Take care and stay safe.