Mist not working 81 Camaro

ScreaminMullet

Apr 19, 2022
I have an 1981 Camaro Z28 and the wipers work, however I can’t seem to get the mist to work. It appears everything is connected properly. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue?

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
They do make a rebuild kit for the pump assy that is on the wiper motor, think it is just a rubber diaphragm and spring. But first check your screen on the end of the pick up tube in the resevoir and make sure it is clean. Are all the lines in good shape, not hard and brittle or real soft (kinks-collapsed tubing). Are your jets on the hood clean (blow out with compressed air or use a welding nozzle cleaner or very tiny piece of wire to unclog the outlets. I actually used clear tubing on my car and you can see the liquic being sucked up, but since I have the Detroit SPeed vari speed wiper motor I used an old European truck electric washer motor that I had laying around from when I worked for Iveco Trcuks back in 79-80.

ScreaminMullet

Apr 19, 2022
They do make a rebuild kit for the pump assy that is on the wiper motor, think it is just a rubber diaphragm and spring. But first check your screen on the end of the pick up tube in the resevoir and make sure it is clean. Are all the lines in good shape, not hard and brittle or real soft (kinks-collapsed tubing). Are your jets on the hood clean (blow out with compressed air or use a welding nozzle cleaner or very tiny piece of wire to unclog the outlets. I actually used clear tubing on my car and you can see the liquic being sucked up, but since I have the Detroit SPeed vari speed wiper motor I used an old European truck electric washer motor that I had laying around from when I worked for Iveco Trcuks back in 79-80.
I’m sure the car had been sitting for awhile before I got it, so I was thinking the tubing could be gunned up. I will try blowing the jets and hoses out.

TTR230

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2020
Burlington, Ontario
When I got my '79, the washer tank was full of a thick, viscous sediment. I have no idea what it is, or caused it, but I'm sure it's possible that the hoses are gummed up on yours. Maybe attach a length of tube bypassing the system and see if it pumps at the pump before pulling it apart.

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Mine really wasn't a problem previously, but I recently re-installed the a/c, overdrive transmission, and EFI. Basically making it more streetable where the wife would more enjoy the ride. When it came to windshield wiper/washer, I shotgunned the whole system except the pump. New tank, new hoses and fittings, didn't care what condition they were in.

You can test the pump with a small bottle of water and hose. Zip tie bottle close by, plug the hose in, and turn the pump on.

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
I recall watching the mechanism work once, it is pretty intense. Amazes me they came up with that convoluted mechanical design vs a simple in line motor. Of course GM probably was thinking "we can sell lots of wiper motors when the washer system quits working". I remember being amazed at the w/s washer system when my dad bought his 69 Nova "Cool!" Cool fact: On 14 June 2010, the UK's Health Protection Agency announced the results of a preliminary study of 75 patients, which found an association between the use of windshield washer fluid and Legionnaires' disease, which is spread by breathing in aerosolized bacteria. It had been noticed that prevalence of the disease was five times higher among professional drivers

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I've had the washer motor just need primed. If it sounds like it's pumping but not moving fluid, take the hose out of the reservoir, turn it upside down and run a hose with water till it starts pumping liquid while activating the pump.

Latest posts